Messing About in Boats

  • rdchamberland
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 17, 2002
      I suppose that just about everyone on this board subscribes to MAIB
      however if there is someone who doesn't I still have the year 2000 up
      to present that are available for the cost of shipping or for picking up.

      I still have a lot of interesting books left. Listed on Bolger2.

      Bob Chamberland
    • pvanderwaart
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 17, 2002
        Since we're in commercial mood, let me say that I have a collection
        of over 100 issues of Multihulls Magazine on sale at eBay.

        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1581235741

        PHV
      • pibracing
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 17, 2002
          I would love to take those off of your hands.I just strted subscribing
          a couple months ago and really love that magazine.I have been looking
          for some older copies to read.I sent you an email to the address on
          the post.

          Thanks
          Mike C--- In bolger@y..., "rdchamberland" <cha62759@t...> wrote:
          > I suppose that just about everyone on this board subscribes to MAIB
          > however if there is someone who doesn't I still have the year 2000 up
          > to present that are available for the cost of shipping or for
          picking up.

          > I still have a lot of interesting books left. Listed on Bolger2.
          >
          > Bob Chamberland
        • Chris Crandall
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 13, 2003
            I haven't been getting MAIB lately, although I'm quite sure I'm paid up.
            Is anyone else getting it? I see no particular discussion here.
          • pvanderwaart <pvanderw@optonline.net>
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 13, 2003
              I just got mine a couple days ago. Bolger's article was about the
              Wish II sharpie. - Peter

            • Bill Paxton <bill@paxtonconsulting.com>
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 13, 2003
                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Chris Crandall <crandall@u...> wrote:
                > I haven't been getting MAIB lately, although I'm quite sure I'm
                paid up.
                > Is anyone else getting it? I see no particular discussion here.

                Sometimes I get my copy right on time, and sometimes it comes a week
                or more late. I once got two issues in the same week. I can tell
                from comments on this board that some people get their issues before
                I do.

                Bob Hicks addressed this awhile back, and it seems to relate to the
                class of postage used to mail the magazine. If I remember right, it
                gives the Post Office some (a lot?) of lattitude about when each
                issue must be delivered.

                Bill
              • Hal Lynch
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 13, 2003
                  On Thursday, February 13, 2003, at 02:45 PM, Chris Crandall wrote:

                  > I haven't been getting MAIB lately, although I'm quite sure I'm paid
                  > up.
                  > Is anyone else getting it? I see no particular discussion here.

                  The feb. 1st issue made it to Utah about 4 days ago.

                  hal
                • Egatempo@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 13, 2003
                    In a message dated 2/13/2003 4:50:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                    crandall@... writes:

                    > I haven't been getting MAIB lately, although I'm quite sure I'm paid up.
                    > Is anyone else getting it?

                    Received the January 15, 2003 issue Vol. 20 - No. 17 last week.
                    George
                    Boatless
                    We cannot direct the wind,
                    but we can adjust our sails.

                  • Bruce Hector <bruce_hector@hotmail.com>
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 13, 2003
                      You lucky ducks in the lower 49 states, you don't know how fortunate
                      you are. Here in the sunny south of Canada we receive two issue of
                      MAIB in one encelope. I'm sure it saves Bob a tad of postage, but it
                      means we're weeks behind. I just received the two January issues,
                      after all, he can't mai me the 1st isuue of the month until after the
                      15th when the second one come out, and goes in the the same package,
                      add a decent delay for anti-terrorist customs stuff, and we're lucky
                      to get the Jan. 1 issue by Feb 15.

                      Still, it's a great rag. Well worth the wait.

                      Bruce Hector
                    • Bruce Hallman <brucehallman@yahoo.com>
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 13, 2003
                        Does anyone have an opinion
                        about Wish II. I had forgotten
                        about it, but it seems an
                        important 'stepping stone'
                        in the now famous advanced
                        sharpie series of boats.

                        I kind of like it, and
                        of course, I want one.

                        How the 700 lbs of ballast
                        works, is not immediately
                        clear, kind of like the
                        AS-19 I am guessing.
                      • John Cupp <caj@kfalls.net>
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 13, 2003
                          The problem as I see it is that there are postal employee's that
                          read our MAIB before we do. In past issues I have had coffee cup
                          stains on them and I don't drink coffee! Some of my wood working rags
                          have the same trouble and are habitualy late but I guess if a certain
                          person is sick or on vacation I get mine ahead of time. The postal
                          service is a rather poor device to use for time sesitive publications
                          but it is the only cheap horse in the stable as lame as it is. This
                          last issue arrived on the 10th. I was eager to read the Bolger
                          comments and a Bolger Topaz Syder could be a nice lake cruiser.

                          John

                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hector <bruce_hector@h...>"

                        • alaskamaz <mzeiger@hotmail.com>
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 14, 2003
                            Seems that Bolger himself had the definitive opinion on Wish II. As I
                            recall the article (it's around here in my mounds of boat paperwork)
                            he was not very optimistic about the design.

                            I learned of Wish II from my brother and his wife's using the leeboard
                            design for their modified long micro, Zoon. When I built our Martha
                            Jane, Selkie, I figured out that the area of the Wish II leeboards
                            were very close, if not the same as the area of the Martha Jane
                            leeboards. I used Wish II's for two reasons: they look nicer, in my
                            opinion, and a pair of leeboards can be made from two sheets of ply,
                            whereas the MJ leeboards took 4 sheets.

                            Wish II's boards are made from doubled 1/2" ply, cut diagnolly down
                            the middle, and rounded off. Extremely simple and economical.

                            I've had good luck with them so far--two seasons of sailing without
                            any problems.

                            The other aspect of Wish II that I admire are the painting suggestions
                            Mr. Bolger included. I thought they were great, and considered for a
                            long time going with one or the other. I think the reason I ended up
                            with neither is because I couldn't decide.

                            You can view the leeboards on Zoon and Selkie at our Web site:
                            http://www.alaska.net/~mzeiger/Boat_Building.html

                            Zoon's under "Dave and Anke's Boats." Selkie's easier to find.

                            By the way, I'm about half way through a June Bug that'll become
                            Selkie's tender. I'm getting a lot of joy out of building--stone the
                            crows, but I love this stuff!

                            Mark Zeiger
                            Juneau, Alaska
                          • pvanderwaart <pvanderw@optonline.net>
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 14, 2003
                              > Seems that Bolger himself had the definitive opinion on Wish II.

                              Apparently, Bolger prepared a 2-sleeper version that he thinks is
                              pretty good. Just guessing, but I think he would suggest it instead
                              of Otter II. He points out in the MAIB article that it was designed
                              using the same ideas as Martha Jane, and probably suffers from the
                              same stability limits.

                              Peter