[bolger] My Bolger boats

  • davecarnell@worldnet.att.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 19, 1999
      I first built FEATHERWIND in 1979, but fitted it with a lateen
      SUNFISH-type rig that Phil said was better than the designed rig.

      Then I built an OTTER II. That was a good boat, though Phil badmouthed
      it because a couple of the protype builders sank theirs. Too heavy and
      difficult to rig for easy trailing. The lines are identical to
      FEATHERWIND.

      Next was a TORTOISE-a most satisfactory dinghy. Unlike 8' prams you
      can reboard this from the water.

      Then ZEPHYR. It was too quick for my advancing years.

      I built the GLOUCESTER GULL without a building jig, as Jim Michalak had
      years before. I eliminated the midships frame by using a stiff gunwale
      as Phil did on WINDSPRINT. The boat weighed 70#. I was terribly
      disappointed in it because it blew all over the water. I think it was
      too light, but Phil said you couldn't make it too light.

      I simplified FEATHERWIND's construction, used a Michalak single
      pivoting leeboard and sell the plans as the $200 SAILBOAT. I pay Phil
      a royalty to say it is his design. <http://home.att.net/~DaveCarnell>

      Dave

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger
    • GHC
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 19, 1999
        Hi Dave,

        Sounds like you've been knocking around this stuff for a long.

        You've got a lot of good information on your page, including your
        "controversial" ;-} theory of ethylene glycol for rot. Good stuff.

        What are you building or sailing now?

        Gregg Carlson