Re: Glassing for impact resistance/resistance is not useless

  • brucehallman
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 2, 2002
      --- In bolger@y..., "John Cupp" <caj@k...> wrote:
      > I continue to advocate UHMW for all the reasons sited in this
      > thread.

      I am intrigued by the stuff. Has PCB
      expressed an opinion? Beyond the
      advantages that John mentions, I
      imagine that barnacles, etc. will
      not attach to it. Similar for
      boring clams. Sort of the modern
      answer to copper cladding.
    • Sakari Aaltonen
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2, 2002
        > .......... UHMW is the greatest innovation for wooden boats since
        > bronze screws. The views expressed here are mine alone and do not
        > represent Yahoo or others who post on this forum(LOL).
        >
        > John

        But where du you buy it? What form does it come in? How much does it cost?

        Sakari Aaltonen
      • sals_dad
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 4, 2002
          > > .......... UHMW is the greatest innovation for wooden boats since
          > > bronze screws.
          >
          > But where du you buy it? What form does it come in? How much does
          it cost?

          Try Crown Plastics: http://www.crownplastics.com/ 513-367-0238. For
          notes on a conversation I had with Pete there, see
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger/message/23430 . There are lots
          of other vendors (try a Google search) but Pete seemed knowledgeable.

          He sent me a couple 10" square samples of adhesive-backed UHMW, but I
          haven't yet had a boat upside down to apply it. Wonder how it
          adheres in cold temps?

          Sal's Dad
          (still peeved 'cause the Diablo's new Yamaha wouldn't start this
          weekend - it wasn't THAT cold, just a bit of ice in the bilge...)