Re: [bolger] Re: Glassing for impact resistance/resistance is useless

  • Jeff Blunck
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 2, 2002
      I just visited this site and one of us is mistaken. I purchased Olefin from
      Defender and it looks and lays up exactly like the Dynel shown on this site.
      Also, the Defender catalog list this type of picture for Olefin.

      I went out in the garage and checked the box and packing on the 75 yard roll
      I have been using and it's marked Olefin.

      It's possible this site has the Dynel and Olefin mixed up.

      Interesting.

      Jeff

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2, 2002
        --- In bolger@y..., David Ryan <david@c...> wrote:
        > FBBB --
        >
        > The inevitable result is the glass fails at the point of impact,
        > allowing water to creep under the glass job. Over time, the results
        > of this are even worse than using no glass at all! Glass
        delaminates,
        > trapped water does nasty things to the wood, etc.
        >
        >> C.E.P.
        > 415 W.46th Street
        > New York, New York 10036
        > http://www.crumblingempire.com
        > Mobile (646) 325-8325
        > Office (212) 247-0296

        I wonder David if the plywood is sucking out some of the resin from
        the glass as it cures? Do you precoat the plywood first with a
        penetrating resin to prevent this?

        System Three has a special resin for this purpose.There should
        therefor be a molecular bonding between that inner glass surface and
        the plywood cellular structure. This is one reason why epoxy is
        superior to polyester resin.

        Nels
      • John Cupp
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 2, 2002
          I continue to advocate UHMW for all the reasons sited in this
          thread. With UHMW your boat acts like it has a Teflon shell and will
          slid up and over submerged obstacles like rocks and logs. I'm
          positive if you follow a good building practice with normal bracing
          and bulkheads then plate you boat with this incredible substance you
          will have a three part protection system.

          1. Plywood is stronger than most plain wood when comparing equal
          thickness.

          2. Fiberglass with epoxy provides another excellent layer that will
          allow an impact to be spread over a larger area to absorb the impact
          instead of a puncture.

          3. Finally UHMW is and has been in use on wooden boats for years and
          is becoming a favorite coating for craft exposed to white water or
          rocky beaches where no other bottom protection works like UHMW.

          I implore all boat builders to become acquainted with UHMW, it could
          save your life or hours of cutting and scraping out wood rot. Maybe
          you're afraid of the weight cost but I have used a .22 rifle(in a
          safe area) and if you shoot at UHMW(3/8") directly on it will flatten
          the bullet if the UHMW is backed by plywood. By itself it allows
          penetration but no further travel. Not as effective as kevlar but
          UHMW is supposed to provide a super slick surface that will provide
          something that slides past and over rocks, eliminating punctures.

          I have used UHMW on drift boats that survived my poor navigation
          down some of the most treacherous white water the pacific northwest
          has to offer. The outcome, Rivers 7 oars. Boats, well over 100
          anadromous fish including steelhead, Salmon and Char. Some rapids
          caused impacts that would have literally torn the bottom out of a
          plain plywood with fiberglass covered bottom.

          I cannot make anyone use UHMW but I will use it myself when I know
          the safety of myself, family and other passengers depend on my good
          judgment. UHMW is the greatest innovation for wooden boats since
          bronze screws. The views expressed here are mine alone and do not
          represent Yahoo or others who post on this forum(LOL).

          John

          --- In bolger@y..., "Ned Asplundh" <nasplundh@y...> wrote:
          > Lookee here:
          >
          > http://www.oneoceankayaks.com/Abrasion.htm
          >
          > ...for one builder's take on the "good, bad and ugly" of differing
          > reinforcement fabrics.
          >
          > --- In bolger@y..., David Ryan <david@c...> wrote:
          > > FBBB --
          > >
          > > As you all know, I am a big advocate of glassing over plywood
          > > anywhere the sun beat down on it. Theres's simply no comparison
          > > between how long a prime&paint finish lasts vs. glass/epoxy/paint.
          > >
          > > However, I've had no good experience "glassing for impact
          > resistance"
          > > on my small boats.
          > >
          > > The inevitable result is the glass fails at the point of impact,
          > > allowing water to creep under the glass job. Over time, the
          results
          > > of this are even worse than using no glass at all! Glass
          > delaminates,
          > > trapped water does nasty things to the wood, etc.
          > >
          > > Now that doesn't mean I don't double up around chines, and other
          > > pointy parts of the boat. But I don't expect my "impact
          protection
          > > either." Perhaps on a larger craft you could build up the glass
          > > enough to provide some meaningful protection, but I think on a
          > small,
          > > cheap boat it's both cost and weight prohibitive.
          > >
          > > YIBB,
          > >
          > > David
          > > --
          > >
          > > C.E.P.
          > > 415 W.46th Street
          > > New York, New York 10036
          > > http://www.crumblingempire.com
          > > Mobile (646) 325-8325
          > > Office (212) 247-0296
        • brucehallman
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 2, 2002
            --- In bolger@y..., "John Cupp" <caj@k...> wrote:
            > I continue to advocate UHMW for all the reasons sited in this
            > thread.

            I am intrigued by the stuff. Has PCB
            expressed an opinion? Beyond the
            advantages that John mentions, I
            imagine that barnacles, etc. will
            not attach to it. Similar for
            boring clams. Sort of the modern
            answer to copper cladding.
          • Sakari Aaltonen
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 2, 2002
              > .......... UHMW is the greatest innovation for wooden boats since
              > bronze screws. The views expressed here are mine alone and do not
              > represent Yahoo or others who post on this forum(LOL).
              >
              > John

              But where du you buy it? What form does it come in? How much does it cost?

              Sakari Aaltonen
            • sals_dad
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 4, 2002
                > > .......... UHMW is the greatest innovation for wooden boats since
                > > bronze screws.
                >
                > But where du you buy it? What form does it come in? How much does
                it cost?

                Try Crown Plastics: http://www.crownplastics.com/ 513-367-0238. For
                notes on a conversation I had with Pete there, see
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger/message/23430 . There are lots
                of other vendors (try a Google search) but Pete seemed knowledgeable.

                He sent me a couple 10" square samples of adhesive-backed UHMW, but I
                haven't yet had a boat upside down to apply it. Wonder how it
                adheres in cold temps?

                Sal's Dad
                (still peeved 'cause the Diablo's new Yamaha wouldn't start this
                weekend - it wasn't THAT cold, just a bit of ice in the bilge...)