Re: Luan

  • micro2001au
    Message 1 of 35 , Nov 2, 2002
      I am building Surf, which I believe is a similar design to June Bug.
      (4 sheets of 1/4 inch ply?) I will build her with the 1/4 inch
      bottom, fiberglassed on the outside, with maybe a foam mat on the
      inside to protect the epoxy from abrasion. I normally overbuild my
      boats but want this one to be light enough to it could be dragged
      around by one person to make beach launching possible. Although using
      3/8 will not add a huge amount of weight, its usually the start of
      the "rot" and inevitably other things get beefed up as well and next
      thing you know she's 10-15 kilo's heavier. The Surf plans haven't
      arrived yet, but after squinting at the study plans on the Instant
      Boats site, it appears that there are skids similar to June Bugs,
      which should stiffen her sufficiently. If you want to beef up the
      bottom the idea put forward of glassing both sides was a good one and
      cheaper/easier than laminating with more ply. Would love to see some
      photos of your progress if possible!

      Regards

      Col Mooney

      --- In bolger@y..., "joannabruce4338" <jbn@p...> wrote:
      > Am building June Bug. Sides, bulkhead, transom, stem, chine logs
      > all in place. Using Luan, which I have had good luck with. Wil
      glas
      > and epoxy sides and bottom.
      >
      > Have been wondering if doubling the 1/4 inch Luan on bottom is a
      good
      > idea, or at least not a bad idea? If I decide to go that way, I
      have
      > been thinking about using contact cement to join surfaces: Put
      first
      > layer on, the when epoxy on chines and bottom of bulukheads cures,
      > use contact cemsnt to bond the layers. Wlll stagger joints on
      layers.

      > Comments
    • adventures_in_astrophotography
      Message 35 of 35 , Dec 21, 2009
        Hi Graeme,

        > here the only enforceable standard is the Australian. In asia the standard is open slather. Mostly priced less than the Australian, any asian stuff stamped British Standard may be just that, or may not be worth the stamping ink. Price is a given, how do you tell its worth? In the US, does British Standard have to mean what it says?

        I actually have no idea, but the plywood is far and away the best I've ever used.

        Jon