Re: The Ship

  • Tom Etherington
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 1, 2002
      I sailed Endeavour when she sailed from Philadelphia to New York.
      Yes it is a kick to climb the rigging, especially when you find out
      about the futtock shrouds. They are the shrouds that go from the
      fighting platform to the other shrouds. They are farther out from
      the center of the boat at the top than at the bottom and as you climb
      them you are essentially on the underside of the shrouds, hanging
      on. Let go and you drop straight down.

      The books in the great cabin are fakes. They are only wooden models
      of what were originally on the ship.

      Her flat bottom was why they chose her. The thought was she could be
      hauled out on a beach for repair. In fact, she had to be hauled out
      and repaired after they hit the Great Barrier Reef, so it was a good
      thing she had the flat bottom.

      She won't be back to the US. Some cockamamie Coast Guard bureaucrat
      in California found a law that says foreign ships can't carry paying
      passengers between ports in the US. She pays for her trips by doing
      just that. Write your congressman.

      All in all, sailing her was a dream come true.

      Tom Etherington
    • Stuart Crawford
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 1, 2002
        Could you tell us about her handling and sailing abilities?

        Stuart