Re: Sneakeasy Modification - Why?

  • ghartc
    Message 1 of 36 , Nov 1, 2002
      I don't see Steve's clever cabin affecting the windage on the front
      end of the boat much at all. The Sneakeasy being a fast, small,
      planing boat; a centerboard will be irrelevent (and maybe dry) in
      that mode. Were it wet, you'd better plan on sealing about 30 psi
      water in your trunk. If you figured you really, really had to have
      a "forwardboard" to get that 4' wide boat in a 15' slip (drunk? ;-),
      you could mount a permanent one that would still clear the outdive of
      a motor (plus the screw holes would easy to seal on subsequent
      removal). Flat-bottom boats used to handle poor handling by nailing
      a plain ol' ~2"x2" keel down the middle of the bottom.

      Steve doesn't have the luxury of the building the box-keel Sneakeasy,
      but that version includes the keel in a stronger bottom that probably
      pounds less. Mine handles like an arrow. I'd posit the hard chines of
      the square version probably provides a similar effect.

      The hard cabin's cool, as are the centerboard mechanisms, but I don't
      see the necessity. I put a nice bimimi on my Sneakeasy - Steve, have
      you looked into a soft bimini and dodger?

      Gregg Carlson

      --- In bolger@y..., "Steve Bosquette" <sbosquette@c...> wrote:
      > Hey Peter
      > I actually understand your excellent "word picture". It would
      > involve a pipe or rod threaded on boths ends with nuts and large
      > washers securing it to the sides of the case with rubber gaskets.
      > The whole thing would pivot? How would I secure the cb to the rod?
      > You would have to take into account the cb needs to be secured to
      the
      > rod while inside the cb trunk! No?
      > As to your computer disability, it may be easier to send me an e-
      mail
      > to sbosquette@c... When you compose the message go
      > to "attach file" ,browse to where the drawing is(my documents) or
      > wherever and click on the drawing file name, hit enter to attach
      and
      > hit send!
      > Thanks
      > Steve Bosquette
      >
      > --- In bolger@y..., "Peter Lenihan" <ellengaest@b...> wrote:
      > > So,I'll attempt through text to describe the centerboard case.
      > > Imagine,if you will,your typical centerboard case with the top
      > > opening completely sealed(with a gasket!).Where the centerboard
      pin
      > > normally would exit the case,imagine a rubber gland(perhaps inner
      > > tube material) secured tightly around a lever arm with lots of
      > slack
      > > in the inner tube to allow 90 degree rotation.
      > > This lever arm is secured to the centerboard pin which in turn is
      > > secured to the centerboard itself.
      > > With the arm laying flat against the bottom and toward you the
      > > centerboard is in the down postion.Pushing the lever up and
      forward
      > > to the "straight up"position will raise the centerboard to the
      > fully
      > > raised postion.
    • Mark A.
      Message 36 of 36 , Nov 1, 2002
        Not as fast, but how 'bout an electric one?
        http://www.psnw.com/~jmrudholm/etekoutboard4.html

        Mark