Re: [bolger] deep keel thoughts

  • David Ryan
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2002
      >I would suggest that a light catboat hull with the centerboard up would
      >skitter away from a breaking wave...

      I don't have any experience being offshore in heavy weather, but I
      have a lot of experience with breaking waves.

      The idea of a shallow bodied boat "skittering away" from the impact
      of a breaking wave sounds nice. It might even happen from time to
      time.

      In my experience, it's always amazing how little of the offside of
      the hull has to "catch" to allow the power of the wave to flip the
      boat. You start to skitter away, then the boat catches just a little,
      lifting the 'waveside' of the hull. This makes the 'awayside' dig
      more, resulting in more lifting. Of course this all happens in the
      blink of an eye. I think that's why boats, both shallow and deep, run
      off when the seas get big enough to start breaking.

      Speaking of breaking seas. We had an LPS move through last weekend
      that was just awesome! In Block Island Sound the combined/contrary
      effects of tide, wind and swell were causeing wave trains to stack up
      and then explode 40 feet into the air. Shoal water in the sound was
      breaking top to bottom, and 6 miles offshore waves were rearing up
      and dumping on Montauk reef. I bet the wave faces were 20' plus.

      YIBB,

      David

      --

      C.E.P.