Re: On working aloft.

  • pvanderwaart
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 26, 2002
      > > What exactly did the sailors do when they went aloft to work the
      sails?

      Very interesting post.

      I have a couple of questions left over my reading "Two years before
      the mast" several years ago. Dana said in a prolog that he was not
      going to explain nautical terminology, and didn't. Anyone who knows
      the answers to these may chime it.

      He used the phrase "on a taut bowline", apparently to mean, "sailing
      to windward." I assume that means that a rope from the rig to the bow
      was taut. Does it have anything to do with the use of "bowline" as
      the name of a knot?

      There is also description of furling sails in bad weather which
      suggests that the topman nearest the end of the yard had a
      particularly tricky task in getting a line/gasket/?? properly in
      place. Possibly he had to pass a loop over the end of the yard. Any
      insight?

      Thanks,

      Peter