Re: [bolger] More on The Ship

  • jhkohnen@boat-links.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 25, 2002
      Endeavour was originally a collier, probably a brig, though I don't recall,
      hauling coal from the north of England to London and other big cities.
      Lots of sailing in and out of harbors (there were no tugs in those days)
      and in the confines of the channel. I remember eading somewhere about the
      collier brigs and how handy they were in the experienced hands of a good
      skipper, who'd work the winds and tides and sometimes sail the ship
      backwards if necessary in a tight spot. Cook learned his trade in Whitby
      colliers, BTW, and specifically chose colliers for his expeditions.

      --
      John <jkohnen@...>
      http://www.boat-links.com/