Re: [bolger] EPOXY COATING
- I know this is a tight lipped bunch,and not given to public comment, but I would like to get some opinions on this subject also. My neighboor died and left me six sheets of 1/4" luan ply. I intend to build a Tortoise with a few them this winter. I thought it would be a good chance to practice a bright finish on luan (for perhaps the deck of a Sneakeasy, or a trolly car cabin on a sharpie). If I screw up, I can always paint it.
- I assume it's going to need glass, not just for abrasion/impact resistance, but for increasing the structural strength of the luan on a boat that was designed for fir plywood. Would you glass inside and out? Or just glass the outside ? Or not at all. (Your comment has been noted David. Tell us why)
- Will she be too heavy if totally glassed?
- Glassing around those chine logs on Tortoise may be difficult. Has anyone built her tack and tape style?
- If someone were making a tack and tape boat and wanted a bright finish, is there a clear filler/thickener for making seam fillets?
- Is Tortoise the wrong boat to practice a bright finish on? Perhaps a more shapely boat would show off the beauty of the wood better. LOL. Who's built a gold plated Tortoise out there?
thinking he won't get that roof on the garage this fall if the weather stays like this...