Re: [bolger] Cook and the Ship

  • wmrpage@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 24, 2002
      In a message dated 10/24/02 2:10:31 PM Central Daylight Time,
      pseudodion3@... writes:

      > Penguin Classics offers an
      > abridged edition of Cook's Journals from all 3 of the voyages to the
      > pacific. It is an interesting read

      Tony Horwitz's "Blue Latitudes" is not a bad read. It's a recent publication,
      has been pretty widely reviewed, and my local library system has several
      copies. The author revisits some of Cook's landings and relates some of the
      history of his voyages. Given the manifest incompetence of later British
      polar explorations, one wonders how the corrupt, nepotism- and
      patronage-ridden system of Georgian England ever lighted upon selection of
      Cook to search for "Terra Australius" and the "Northwest Passage". Somehow,
      the system chose a preternaturally competent explorer. An amazing captain, by
      any measure.

      Ciao for Niao,
      Bill in MN