Re: [bolger] Wyo on the cheap?

  • jeff
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 24, 2002
      > What is it about working with the Meranti that makes it worth
      > $20/sheet more than ACX? Inquiring minds want to know!

      The ACX around here is going for $20.00 a sheet for 1/2". So I paid $26.00
      per sheet more for the Meranti delivered to my garage more than ACX,

      The MDO around here is $39.00 plus delivery, or about $7.00 per sheet less
      than Meranti. I have no experience with MDO either but it's said to be good
      stuff.

      My past experience with Fir or Pine ACX is that it can wick up a lot of
      epoxy when you coat it but the Meranti does not because the grain is heavier
      and the top ply is thinner. With a water proof glue behind it, epoxy usage
      is way down.

      The Meranti I have is a 7 ply versus 4 ply on the 1/2 ACX I have on hand.
      No voids means longer life in the Marine environment and 7 plys are
      noticeably stronger.

      When driving screws or nails in ACX and you hit a void, it'll collapse
      making fastening nowhere near as secure as the Meranti.

      No need to glass the topsides when using Meranti. The checking should not
      happen and if so, very minor. I've had a piece coated with epoxy laying in
      the sun, under my lawn sprinklers for 6 months in hot and cold weather with
      no effects. Not even on the bare wood side laying in the dirt.

      The weight is about the same at an average of 48 lbs per sheet. It cuts
      like a dream with very little if any splintering except immediately at the
      cut.

      Meranti has a very smooth and consistent surface, a "ton" less labor in
      finishing. When you add the extra epoxy and fiberglass the ACX needs, I
      would doubt is more than $10.00 maybe $15.00 per sheet different so on the
      Wyo it's about $1200.00 more expensive. When you add the fact you probably
      get a stronger and longer lasting boat with about 1/2 the finishing labor
      it's worth it to me anyway.

      If ACX over Meranti holds you back from building a boat, go ACX for sure.
      It's better to enjoy the boat than not have it at all.

      Jeff