Houseboat #481

  • Paul McLellan
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 3, 2002
      Sorry about the typo on the number. Bolger sells the plans for $150
      US and is quick to respond to intelligent questions about the
      building. He seems to mercifully ignore the dumb questions that you
      already have the answer but haven't figured it out yet. I am
      building it as designed remembering the sage advice that anytime
      someone changes HIS design they regret it later. So far all of my
      insecurity seems to have been in vain as the construction has been
      very straignt forward. Having spent considerable time preparing the
      work area has paid off in many ways including the ability to convince
      someone to "lend a hand " at critical times. I expect some difficulty
      in cutting the bevels for some of the bottom floor timbers but plan to
      put them in place temporarily then carve the excess with an electric
      plane for the final fit and gluing. I plan to do little or no
      sanding on this boat after any epoxy is used. The orange peel look is
      fine and I am fanatical about clean up of drips and drops as the
      constuction is underway. Chipping of any excess with a chisel seems
      to work well and use of sharp scrapers when green as well as a
      shurform.
      I am having some problem finding a few cheap watertight, flush
      hatches for the forward and stern watertight compartments. Any ideas?
      Also I need some idea of putting a bow hook in for trailering and
      retreival.
      I expect the weather to cool down considerably in Eastern ontario but
      still am boating seriously between bouts of sawdust and epoxy. Last
      night my wife helped me glue all the frames on the sides in
      preparation for the big day Friday when the assembly begins. --------
      Paul McLellan going skating with the old timeRs this morning waiting
      for the epoxy and cabisol to set.
    • brucehallman
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 3, 2002
        --- In bolger@y..., "Paul McLellan" <bysc@i...> wrote:
        > I am having some problem finding a few cheap watertight, flush
        > hatches for the forward and stern watertight compartments. Any
        > ideas?

        The Jamestown Distributors catalogue
        I got in the mail yesterday shows
        they sell a variety of deck plates
        ranging in price from $8.85 to
        $21.94.

        Kind of cheap it seems...

        www.JamestownDistributors.com
      • Richard Spelling
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 3, 2002
          > I am having some problem finding a few cheap watertight, flush
          > hatches for the forward and stern watertight compartments. Any ideas?
          > Also I need some idea of putting a bow hook in for trailering and
          > retreival.
        • Harry W. James
          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 3, 2002
            Check out

            http://www.thriftymariner.com/products/access.html

            for cheap hatches

            brucehallman wrote:

            > --- In bolger@y..., "Paul McLellan" <bysc@i...> wrote:
            > > I am having some problem finding a few cheap watertight, flush
            > > hatches for the forward and stern watertight compartments. Any
            > > ideas?
            >
            > The Jamestown Distributors catalogue
            > I got in the mail yesterday shows
            > they sell a variety of deck plates
            > ranging in price from $8.85 to
            > $21.94.
            >
            > Kind of cheap it seems...
            >
            > www.JamestownDistributors.com
            >.
          • mikestockstill
            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 4, 2002
              Hi Paul -

              > constuction is underway. Chipping of any excess with a chisel
              > seems
              > to work well and use of sharp scrapers when green as well as a
              > shurform.

              I also recommend using a heat gun - soften the epoxy slightly and it
              scrapes off with no effort.

              > I am having some problem finding a few cheap watertight, flush
              > hatches for the forward and stern watertight compartments. Any
              > ideas?

              Yes. Don't bother. There is not much space up under the exterior
              floor anyway. What space does exist you can access from inside the
              house - best to keep it free of junk I think. Use a deck box on the
              outside of the deck for some storage space - they make great seats
              too.

              > Also I need some idea of putting a bow hook in for trailering and
              > retreival.

              The bow transom is a 2x6 I think - just run a bow eye right through
              that down close to the floor. A rockered bottom like this doesn't
              lend itself well to be cranked up a trailer, so you will find that
              you do most of the work positioning the boat on the trailer by simply
              backing the trailer down a bit further in the water. If any space
              remains between the boat and the winch, just pull forward a few feet
              in the parking lot and give the brakes a strong push. It will bump
              the boat up the rest of the way. The winch will hold the boat on the
              trailer.

              For the trailer, go buy a bow pulpit as is sold for the pontoon boat
              trailers. This will give you a vertical post for the winch and it is
              much easier to work with. You will find it allows a great deal of
              vertical adjustment too.

              Photos of my trailer:

              http://mkstocks.tripod.com/boats/as19/

              http://mkstocks.tripod.com/boats/martha_jane/trailer/

              Note the transverse beams for the rockered bottom and the pontoon
              boat style bow pulpit.

              Happy building.

              Mike

              ps - POST SOME PHOTOS OF WHAT YOU HAVE DONE TO DATE!!
            • Paul McLellan
              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 4, 2002
                --- In bolger@y..., "mikestockstill" <mkstocks@b...> wrote:
                > Hi Paul -
                >
                > Note the transverse beams for the rockered bottom and the pontoon
                > boat style bow pulpit.
                >
                > Happy building.
                >
                > Mike
                >
                > ps - POST SOME PHOTOS OF WHAT YOU HAVE DONE TO DATE!!

                Thanks Mike and the others for the excellent suggestions. Pictures
                will be ready tomorrow and I will scan and post.
              • brucehallman
                Message 7 of 26 , Oct 4, 2002
                  --- "Paul McLellan" > wrote [of design 481]:
                  [snip]

                  I have long been curious about the
                  reason for the rectangular dashed
                  lines that show in the Common
                  Sense Designs catalogue?

                  http://www.hallman.org/bolger/481/481.gif

                  My guess is that integral wheel
                  wells could be built into the
                  hull at these locations to either
                  allow pemanently mounted trailer
                  wheels, or to allow a lower slung
                  trailer to have wheel clearance.
                • pvanderwaart
                  Message 8 of 26 , Oct 4, 2002
                    > I have long been curious about the
                    > reason for the rectangular dashed
                    > lines that show in the Common
                    > Sense Designs catalogue?

                    Water ballast tanks?
                  • mikestockstill
                    Message 9 of 26 , Oct 5, 2002
                      Hi -

                      These mark an area in the interior which is to be kept clear for
                      bailing -- that is the lowest point in the boat on each side. Put a
                      bilge pump there on each side.

                      Mike

                      --- In bolger@y..., "brucehallman" <brucehallman@y...> wrote:
                      > --- "Paul McLellan" > wrote [of design 481]:
                      > [snip]
                      >
                      > I have long been curious about the
                      > reason for the rectangular dashed
                      > lines that show in the Common
                      > Sense Designs catalogue?

                    • Paul McLellan
                      Message 10 of 26 , Oct 6, 2002
                        Bruce Hallman wrote

                        "I have long been curious about the
                        reason for the rectangular dashed
                        lines that show in the Common
                        Sense Designs catalogue?

                        http://www.hallman.org/bolger/481/481.gif

                        My guess is that integral wheel
                        wells could be built into the
                        hull at these locations to either
                        allow pemanently mounted trailer
                        wheels, or to allow a lower slung
                        trailer to have wheel clearance.

                        Bolger shows them as areas to keep free for bailing. It isn't clear
                        whether he means on the floor or on the bottom. I read it as a place
                        to remove any water from the bilge because there are drains on either
                        side of the floor timbers. Hopefully the entire area is water tight
                        but it seems like a good idea to have the capicty to remove it if it
                        soes accumulate there. In my climate, condensation would be a worse
                        foe than the rivers. Probably this would be an area to put a small
                        watertight hatch. Any ideas----?
                        To Captjbturtle, I checked the idea of the ice boat with the sled
                        dogs and although they love Bolgers functionability and all his other
                        wonderful concepts, they all agreed it was too "box like" to be seen
                        on the rivers in winter. They thought the Bantam #653 had finer lines
                        and was much more suited for that purpose. With the built in wells
                        between the hulls the dogs thought it would be easy to ice fish
                        through the floor. When you finish it bring it up for the winter.
                        regards from the moaning chair. On the houseboat I had to deconstruct
                        the frames from the sides because of operator error. Fortunately it
                        was so cold that after 40 hours of curing the epoxy was still green
                        enough to break apart. After it cured a bit I am able to remove the
                        epoxy via an electric hand plane and some 36 grit on a 3" belt sander.
                        Shot with a ball of my own epoxy. A minor setback but a life lesson
                        that I should have known already. Happy boating
                      • Chuck Leinweber
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jun 17, 2003
                          Here is a link to the page of Paul McLellan's houseboat article and pictures:

                          http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/r/projects/mclellan/two.htm

                          chuck

                        • Paul
                          Message 12 of 26 , Oct 14, 2003
                            Great progress in the last few weeks after taking a long time off to
                            actually use some of those !#%% boats hanging around here and truly
                            enjoying the kingston messabout and the great intelectual hangover I
                            recieved. so much teriffic information to absorb with all the talent
                            and beautiful boats to learn from. Hope this event gets better every
                            year.

                            The houseboat exterior is complete and ready for a spring final round
                            of gluing and painting. The results far exceed my humble expectations
                            and the final look is much better than the effect of the two
                            dimensional drawing. The very large windows are really functional and
                            with the dark tint add the dimension of mystery. The double doors at
                            the front piano hinge ope and virtually disappear flush against the
                            port bulkhead off the forward deck. The rear door slides to the short
                            side and disappears.

                            Today I mocked up a helm station and the counter top for the stove,
                            sink and food prep area using some scraps. I like this method of
                            learning and will make the communication easier with the first mate.
                            We are currently discussing the bed and have decided on a day bed in
                            place all the time right behind the helm station. This day bed would
                            slide out to a width of 56 inches x 75 inches and use the foam from
                            the day bed. The headboard will be a cut out shelf from the head wall
                            and conveniently hold the reading lights and serve as half a
                            bookshelf. On the other half of this shelf in the head it will hold
                            various toiletries with the dry towels hanging over it and the wall
                            covered with a shower curtain to keep everything accessable and dry.

                            Right now I am planning the mechanicals and hope to build in both
                            batteries into the helm station as well as battery switch, condition
                            indicators, fuse panel, tachometer, depth finder, marine radio and any
                            other electronice. This should make all wire runs short and
                            electronice easy to secure.

                            PS The roof is incredible --- Sixteen feet long and over 8 feet
                            wide , all shiny and bright. Cracky, people live inb smaller spaces
                            than that.
                            Any comments or discussion on this is welcome although I am only on
                            line when I get the daily digest.

                            regards paul McLellan knowing that the frost is on the pumpkin and my
                            epoxy and painting days are over for this season, but happy the boat
                            is closed in and looking great for the long winter sleep til and early
                            may start.
                          • Paul McLellan
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jun 18, 2004
                              It's out of the barn and on the homemade trailer. I have posted 2
                              pictures in Bolger 2 Houseboat photos # 17 and 18. Yesterday we
                              inatalled the old motor with new controls and today I spliced all
                              the wires and the engine actually turned over. All the wiring is
                              done at he helm station as well as the house lights, water pumps and
                              accessories. Still lots of piddly things but if the motor will
                              start tomorrow John Bartlett and I plan to test launch next week.
                              we offset the motor off the back to give full clearance for the rear
                              deck. John the boat enlarger is trying to convince me to add to the
                              front and the swim platform on the back and add 6 feet to the boat
                              even before it gets wet. This will be something to discuss at the
                              kingston messabout. I am more than pleased with the results to date
                              and hope it is as much fun and interesting cruising as it is
                              building it. Thanks Mr. Bolger for some wonderful fantasies and dry
                              sailing, now for the test. Will keep you posted.

                              Paul McLellan, elated that I may make my deadline to be on the water
                              to see the Canada day fireworks from the boat in out nations
                              capital, Ottawa
                            • pvanderwaart
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jun 19, 2004
                                > It's out of the barn and on the homemade trailer.

                                Way cool!
                              • Jason Stancil
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jun 19, 2004
                                  Paul-

                                  Looks real nice.....the 481 is one of the sharpest shanty boats out
                                  there. What are the dimensions.....8x16 or 20?

                                  I know those pics will make someone want to build the superbrick :)

                                  Jason
                                • deserttoad64
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jan 27, 2008
                                    Does anyone know anything about this "boat"? I have been trying to find
                                    a small houseboat plans (18-20ft) that can carry a good load. I like
                                    the looks of this, although the only picture I have seen looks to have
                                    too many windows. Cute... Has Bolger designed any othe small
                                    houseboats?? Where the heck does one find plans??
                                  • Peter Lenihan
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jan 27, 2008
                                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "deserttoad64" <deserttoad64@...> wrote:

                                      > Does anyone know anything about this "boat"? I have been trying to
                                      find
                                      > a small houseboat plans (18-20ft) that can carry a good load. I like
                                      > the looks of this, although the only picture I have seen looks to
                                      have
                                      > too many windows. Cute... Has Bolger designed any othe small
                                      > houseboats?? Where the heck does one find plans??

                                      The plans are available from the designer whose address is right on
                                      the home page. There is one esteemed member here who built one.You jut
                                      have to dig around the groups files/photo sections to find it.

                                      Peter

                                    • Peter Lenihan
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jan 27, 2008
                                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "deserttoad64" <deserttoad64@...> wrote:

                                        > Does anyone know anything about this "boat"? I have been trying to
                                        find
                                        > a small houseboat plans (18-20ft) that can carry a good load. I like
                                        > the looks of this, although the only picture I have seen looks to
                                        have
                                        > too many windows. Cute... Has Bolger designed any othe small
                                        > houseboats?? Where the heck does one find plans??

                                        20481/

                                        it is in the file section of this group :-) and Paul can sing the
                                        praises of it too :-)

                                        Peter
                                      • Harry James
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jan 27, 2008
                                          Is there any pictures of him getting the Junebug up on that roof?

                                          HJ

                                          Peter Lenihan wrote:
                                          > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "deserttoad64" <deserttoad64@...> wrote:
                                          >
                                          >> Does anyone know anything about this "boat"? I have been trying to
                                          >>
                                          > find
                                          >
                                          >> a small houseboat plans (18-20ft) that can carry a good load. I like
                                          >> the looks of this, although the only picture I have seen looks to
                                          >>
                                          > have
                                          >
                                          >> too many windows. Cute... Has Bolger designed any othe small
                                          >> houseboats?? Where the heck does one find plans??

                                          > it is in the file section of this group :-) and Paul can sing the
                                          > praises of it too :-)
                                          >

                                          > Peter

                                        • Paul McLellan
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jan 28, 2008

                                            > Is there any pictures of him getting the Junebug up on that roof?
                                            >
                                            > HJ
                                            The Junebug only weighs about 60 pounds and is easy to put on the roof
                                            of the Houseboat at dock, harder when it is on the trailer or in the
                                            water. To launch just slide it off the side and let it drop once a bit
                                            of flotation is achieved at the stern. Storing it upright allows me to
                                            have the oars, paddle and life jackets in it ready to go. When some
                                            ask too many questions, as can happen with a bolger boat, I tell them
                                            when the Houseboat sinks, we sit in the dingy and wait for it to float
                                            off. I lift it on and off alone but it is nice to have a steadying
                                            hand. To get it on the roof racks of the car, I have an extension for
                                            the front rack and put the bow on it, lift the stern on the rear rack
                                            then slide the boat into position for securing. It is so easy it
                                            amazes me. Happy boating and building, Today I will be gluing the shoe
                                            on the Small Clam Skiff. regards Paul McLellan so many boats, so
                                            little time.
                                          • Harry James
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jan 28, 2008
                                              I am amazed that it is only 60lbs. It comes out of 4 sheets of 1/4 in
                                              which are usually 25lbs apiece, plus dimensional lumber. Did you do
                                              anything different to lighten it?

                                              HJ

                                              Paul McLellan wrote:
                                              > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Harry James <welshman@...> wrote:
                                              >
                                              >> Is there any pictures of him getting the Junebug up on that roof?
                                              >>
                                              >> HJ
                                              >>
                                              > The Junebug only weighs about 60 pounds and is easy to put on the roof
                                              > of the Houseboat at dock, harder when it is on the trailer or in the
                                              > water. To launch just slide it off the side and let it drop once a bit
                                              > of flotation is achieved at the stern. Storing it upright allows me to
                                              > have the oars, paddle and life jackets in it ready to go. When some
                                              > ask too many questions, as can happen with a bolger boat, I tell them
                                              > when the Houseboat sinks, we sit in the dingy and wait for it to float
                                              > off. I lift it on and off alone but it is nice to have a steadying
                                              > hand. To get it on the roof racks of the car, I have an extension for
                                              > the front rack and put the bow on it, lift the stern on the rear rack
                                              > then slide the boat into position for securing. It is so easy it
                                              > amazes me. Happy boating and building, Today I will be gluing the shoe
                                              > on the Small Clam Skiff. regards Paul McLellan so many boats, so
                                              > little time.

                                            • Peter Lenihan
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jan 29, 2008

                                                > I am amazed that it is only 60lbs. It comes out of 4 sheets of 1/4
                                                in
                                                > which are usually 25lbs apiece, plus dimensional lumber. Did you do
                                                > anything different to lighten it?

                                                Harry,

                                                a)After building the houseboat,everything feels lighter to Paul:-)

                                                b)Paul is mixing up metric and english measures.:-)

                                                c)If you only ever have to lift one end at a time, you are probably
                                                lifting only half the total weight,thus 60lbs X 2 would put it around
                                                your guestimate.....just a thought. :-)

                                                Sincerely,
                                                Peter Lenihan
                                              • Paul McLellan
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Jan 29, 2008
                                                  Peter, I know I am mixed up but in a crazy sort of way and old enough
                                                  to remember when we went to the bathroom outside and smoked inside.
                                                  The Junebug weighs only 60 pounds or about 25 kilos. It was made
                                                  from 4 sheets of luan, glassed on the interior floor and the bottom.
                                                  I used eastern white cedar for the dimensional lumber and skimped
                                                  where possible. I did not add the sailing features and there are no
                                                  seats as I have a box with all the essentials for boating in it which
                                                  serves as a step on the Houseboat and a seat on the Junebug. We love
                                                  this little boat and it got a lot of use last year with no problems
                                                  other than a small wound when I dropped it about eight feet onto a
                                                  sharp object. I did put three small skids on the bottom and is is
                                                  stiff enough with no oilcanning at high rowing speed or even with the
                                                  2 hp Honda pushing it along.
                                                  With the clam skiff I am estimating the final weight to be about 200
                                                  lbs. It is a heck of a lot of boat for that weight. regards paul

                                                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@...>

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Jan 29, 2008
                                                    On Jan 27, 2008 2:14 PM, Peter Lenihan <peterlenihan@...> wrote:

                                                    > There is one esteemed member here who built one.

                                                    That would be Paul McLellan, and #481 "Happy Adventurer" was launched
                                                    June 29, 2004. I was impressed!
                                                  • dnjost
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Jan 30, 2008
                                                      Paul -

                                                      i would love a picture of the roof rack with the front extension. That
                                                      would solve so many issues with long boats. My car's roof would
                                                      appreciate it.

                                                      David Jost
                                                    • Paul McLellan
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
                                                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dnjost" <davidjost@...> wrote:

                                                        > Paul -
                                                        >
                                                        > i would love a picture of the roof rack with the front extension.
                                                        That
                                                        > would solve so many issues with long boats. My car's roof would
                                                        > appreciate it.
                                                        >
                                                        > David Jost

                                                        No picture required David but I could send you some off line. I made
                                                        the racks out of 1 1/4" square steel pipe 3/16" thickness. It is 5
                                                        feet wide and the extension is a 5 foot piece of 1" square pipe which
                                                        fits perfectly inside the rack. I just silde it in a foot or so and
                                                        voila, start loading the boat! Sometime if space is a problem, I can
                                                        store the extension inside the rack. These are the best racks I have
                                                        had and total cost was $20, It is on a Honda CR-V and the car part
                                                        is a piece of angle iron drilled out to fit the pre-drilled holes on
                                                        the roof. I welded pieces of angle on the square pipe that fit the
                                                        car piece. The rack is bolted to the car with 3/8 bolts and is put
                                                        on or removed in a few minutes. This is a very strong rack. The
                                                        Junebug is a snap to load because it is so light but have loaded much
                                                        heavier boats easily. The longer the boat, the easier it is.
                                                        regards and happy boating, Paul waiting for a major blizzard and
                                                        fairing the bottom on a Small clam skiff. I can see it on the roof
                                                        rack now.