Re: Fiberglass [Somewhat OT]

  • proaconstrictor
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2002
      --- In bolger@y..., "Ken" <renueden@e...> wrote:
      > I am trying to decide on what to glass my truck camper with, (prior
      > beginning the Super Brick), and have heard mention of "duty cloth"
      that is
      > used on boat cabins. Is this what I want? Also, I have basically
      a 2x2
      > framed structure throughout and am thinking that 1/4" a/c ply would
      be
      > enough for the outer skin on the sides , front and back. Any
      comments?
      > Thanks all,
      > Ken Locarnini

      If you have 2x beams, that I can understand, though there are lighter
      things. But 2x in the corners has the potential to open the joints,
      as much as to hold them closed (happens in houses). So I would use
      either 1x stringers, or coves in the joints. Over that I would use
      6oz, you could make a case for really heavy stuff if say hired help
      are to be throwing laders up and down all day long. 4oz really
      doesn't toughen much, and is sometimes more expensive, you save a
      tiny bit on epoxy, but I would go with the 6.
    • Ken
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2002

        > If you have 2x beams, that I can understand, though there are lighter
        > things. But 2x in the corners has the potential to open the joints,
        > as much as to hold them closed (happens in houses). So I would use
        > either 1x stringers, or coves in the joints.

        Hey Proa,
        Could you eloborate a bit on the above if you have time, I don't quite
        get what you're saying. My reasoning for going with 2x2, 1 1/2" net, was
        that things felt flimsy on the 1" stuff, though the plans did call for 1".
        Also I noted that modern, (heavy) campers have the thicker stock going.
        Thanks,
        Ken
      • Lincoln Ross
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2002
          If you want to keep it light and you are just doing it to weatherproof
          and prevent checking, then 1 oz cloth (www.defenderus.com), while a
          little tricky to apply, is inexpensive, will do the job, keep things
          light, and use less epoxy. For more physical abuse (ladders, feet,
          etc) you might need something a little heavier.

          Whether 1/4 ply is enough depends on how much framing you have and how
          sturdy it must be. Keep in mind that some of this stuff has 3 equal
          layers so that it's quite stiff the long way and quite floppy the
          short way.