Re: Bolger Houseboat 3481

  • proaconstrictor
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2002
      I bought it from Bernie at CSD a fair while ago. Their back issues
      contained some info on how to make it more seaworthy and so forth. I
      never intended to build it for myself, I had a friend who was
      interested in a houseboat, and just picked it up to show him.

      You can't buy the plans any more, I thought it might have been
      because of the seaworthiness issues, but more recently someone on the
      list mentioned it was PCB's view that for the work involved, you
      might as well build a real boat. I don't really agree with that.
      Devlin who has a nice houseboat, said in WB that the boat part took a
      weekend to rough build. The rest doesn't need to be all that super
      overdone, since it isn't loaded in the same way as a sailboat. Of
      course you have to want a houseboat in the end.

      Here is a picture of it being built to a high standard:

      http://www.devlinboat.com/constructionmilliehill.htm
    • Mark A.
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2002
        That's a surprise. If PB&F have actually withdrawn it, they _really_ must not like the
        thing. ( After all, you can still get Anhinga plans from them. )

        One of the houseboat's beauties is the light weight travel trailer function: something a
        heavier, more sea worthy boat might not do so well.

        In any case, the version from Berkeley Engineering will serve for those who just gotta
        have one to use in suitable conditions.

        Mark
        proaconstrictor wrote:

        > You can't buy the plans any more, I thought it might have been
        > because of the seaworthiness issues, but more recently someone on the
        > list mentioned it was PCB's view that for the work involved, you
        > might as well build a real boat. I don't really agree with that..
      • mikestockstill
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 3, 2002
          Hi -

          FYI: You CAN buy the plans for the Bolger Houseboat from Phil &
          Susanne as I bought a fresh set last month.

          Bye.

          Mike

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 3, 2002
            --- In bolger@y..., "Mark A." <marka@h...> wrote:
            > That's a surprise. If PB&F have actually withdrawn it, they
            _really_ must not like the
            > thing. ( After all, you can still get Anhinga plans from them. )
            >
            > One of the houseboat's beauties is the light weight travel trailer
            function: something a
            > heavier, more sea worthy boat might not do so well.
            >
            > In any case, the version from Berkeley Engineering will serve for
            those who just gotta
            > have one to use in suitable conditions.
            >
            > Mark
            > proaconstrictor wrote:

            That's what someone told me here, apparently not true. At $150 bucks
            it's a whole new boat!