launch/refit report

  • sanmi
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2002
      We launched AS-29 Alisa a few weeks ago and had a nice weekend
      overnighter. The chine repairs went well. The only remaining hull
      work that remains is to seal some leaks in the bilgeboard trunks.

      A few more pictures at http://www.geocities.com/sanmi/alisa/alisa.html

      Frank
      Wilmington, DE
    • Peter Lenihan
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2002
        --- In bolger@y..., "sanmi" <sanmi@y...> wrote:
        > We launched AS-29 Alisa a few weeks ago and had a nice weekend
        > overnighter. The chine repairs went well. The only remaining hull
        > work that remains is to seal some leaks in the bilgeboard trunks.
        >
        > A few more pictures at
        http://www.geocities.com/sanmi/alisa/alisa.html

        > Frank
        > Wilmington, DE

        Frank,
        Great pictures of a lovely looking boat! If we didn't know
        better,we'd say she was brand spanking new!
        One of your pictures has a caption about anchoring stern to and
        your concern about wave slap.Considering that the master stateroom is
        aft,that would appear to put your head very close to the point of
        contact with the waves,no? Also,since she is broader in the stern
        then up forward,there is that much more surface area for the waves to
        slap upon.
        Anyway,maybe the layout isn't exactly per plan,so this is just
        an idle thought from me.
        Continued success with your repair work and many happy sails!!

        Sincerely,
        Peter Lenihan,jealous of anyone who is just launching at this time of
        the year,from the shores of the St.Lawrence where global warming
        appears to be doing just fine................
      • sanmi
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2002
          Well, I haven't really tried this with much wind, but the night we
          did it, there was more noise from the bow than the stern, since wind
          was off of the shore and the bow was facing the channel. Another
          concern is the rudder gets pushed around a bit when anchored stern-
          to, so real waves might do real damage...

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 3, 2002
            Peter,

            By the way, Bob Wise mentioned once that they used to anchor Loose
            Moose II (the first AS-39) stern-to.

            Also by the way - thanks for calling it the "Master Stateroom"! Now
            I need to come up with an appropriate term for the setees where the
            kids sleep. Maybe something grand like "starboard and port guest
            quarters". Or humble like "foc'sle" or "gun deck" or "orlop deck."
            And the cabin sole where they spread out the hotwheels and crafts
            should be called the "entertainment promenade"

            Frank