Re: test of june bug Bilge keels

  • pauldayau
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2002
      --- In bolger@y..., "captreed2000" <captreed@a...> wrote:

      > > something to think about
      > > cheers paul
      >
      > Yeah, sounds great. Have you posted the specs for the bilge
      keels?
      > I'm curious about their size and construction.
      >
      > Reed
      g'day reed,
      The keels are 4" deep and 3' long they are screwd through the bottom
      and epoxied . they snug up against the runners . If you search the
      files for June Bugs, Botany Bay....... you'll find a photo.
      The centre line of the keels is slightly aft of the possition where
      the leeboard would have gone.
      cheers paul
    • joannabruce4338
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2002
        How do the keels affect the rowing?
      • pauldayau
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 3, 2002
          --- In bolger@y..., "joannabruce4338" <jbn@p...> wrote:
          > How do the keels affect the rowing?
          they improved it!!!!. She still turns in her own length, but glides
          better. , 2 strokes per boat length.
          a small skeg wouldnt hurt. to be really manouverable the kids all
          sit on the prow, And i mean all the kids.
          cheers paul
        • joannabruce4338
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 3, 2002
            How many kids? "all" implies at least 3!

            Design (!) question: why were the keels butted against the shoes,
            rather than on top of them? I understand that they might be a bit
            more secure as you have them, but on top of the shoes they might
            create less drag.

            I intend to try my British Seagull outboard on the back, so will make
            the transom a bit higher.

            Have you tried the sprit sail that is specified as an alternate rig
            for the cartopper? Looks as if it might fit, and the spars are a bit
            shorter and easier to stow.

            to be really manouverable the kids all
            > sit on the prow, And i mean all the kids.
            > cheers paul
          • pauldayau
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 5, 2002
              --- In bolger@y..., "joannabruce4338" <jbn@p...> wrote:
              > How many kids? "all" implies at least 3!
              Only 4 are sailing yet. the 3 oldest have all been trapezing off a
              hobie before they were 7 year old.

              > Design (!) question: why were the keels butted against the shoes,
              > rather than on top of them? I understand that they might be a bit
              > more secure as you have them, but on top of the shoes they might
              > create less drag.
              DRAG is a rather technical term in my book. by glueing next to 2
              surfaces its stonger.

              > I intend to try my British Seagull outboard on the back, so will
              make
              > the transom a bit higher.
              If you lowered the deck and made a transom at that hieght it would
              be perfect for a short shaft seagull.
              We put a 2.5 hp seagull on the back of our folding schooner, (31').
              it was a shrt shaft and we had to have 2 sitting on the stern to go
              good. it ran fine . max knots was achieved at 3/4 revs. actually
              faster than the 10' dinghy than it was bought for!

              > Have you tried the sprit sail that is specified as an alternate rig
              > for the cartopper? Looks as if it might fit, and the spars are a
              bit
              > shorter and easier to stow.
              having 2 masts and 4 sails allows easy sail reduction and everyone
              has something to do.
              cheers Paul

            • captreed2000
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 5, 2002
                If you search the
                > files for June Bugs, Botany Bay....... you'll find a photo.
                > The centre line of the keels is slightly aft of the possition
                where
                > the leeboard would have gone.
                > cheers paul

                Hi Paul,

                Thanks. Like Phil B. has said, "The urge to modify a design by a
                home builder is irresistable." I see you use my favorite sailcloth.

                Reed