Re: test of june bug Bilge keels

  • captreed2000
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 30, 2002
      > something to think about
      > cheers paul

      Yeah, sounds great. Have you posted the specs for the bilge keels?
      I'm curious about their size and construction.

      Reed
    • pauldayau
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2002
        --- In bolger@y..., "captreed2000" <captreed@a...> wrote:

        > > something to think about
        > > cheers paul
        >
        > Yeah, sounds great. Have you posted the specs for the bilge
        keels?
        > I'm curious about their size and construction.
        >
        > Reed
        g'day reed,
        The keels are 4" deep and 3' long they are screwd through the bottom
        and epoxied . they snug up against the runners . If you search the
        files for June Bugs, Botany Bay....... you'll find a photo.
        The centre line of the keels is slightly aft of the possition where
        the leeboard would have gone.
        cheers paul
      • joannabruce4338
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2002
          How do the keels affect the rowing?
        • pauldayau
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 3, 2002
            --- In bolger@y..., "joannabruce4338" <jbn@p...> wrote:
            > How do the keels affect the rowing?
            they improved it!!!!. She still turns in her own length, but glides
            better. , 2 strokes per boat length.
            a small skeg wouldnt hurt. to be really manouverable the kids all
            sit on the prow, And i mean all the kids.
            cheers paul
          • joannabruce4338
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 3, 2002
              How many kids? "all" implies at least 3!

              Design (!) question: why were the keels butted against the shoes,
              rather than on top of them? I understand that they might be a bit
              more secure as you have them, but on top of the shoes they might
              create less drag.

              I intend to try my British Seagull outboard on the back, so will make
              the transom a bit higher.

              Have you tried the sprit sail that is specified as an alternate rig
              for the cartopper? Looks as if it might fit, and the spars are a bit
              shorter and easier to stow.

              to be really manouverable the kids all
              > sit on the prow, And i mean all the kids.
              > cheers paul
            • pauldayau
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 5, 2002
                --- In bolger@y..., "joannabruce4338" <jbn@p...> wrote:
                > How many kids? "all" implies at least 3!
                Only 4 are sailing yet. the 3 oldest have all been trapezing off a
                hobie before they were 7 year old.

                > Design (!) question: why were the keels butted against the shoes,
                > rather than on top of them? I understand that they might be a bit
                > more secure as you have them, but on top of the shoes they might
                > create less drag.
                DRAG is a rather technical term in my book. by glueing next to 2
                surfaces its stonger.

                > I intend to try my British Seagull outboard on the back, so will
                make
                > the transom a bit higher.
                If you lowered the deck and made a transom at that hieght it would
                be perfect for a short shaft seagull.
                We put a 2.5 hp seagull on the back of our folding schooner, (31').
                it was a shrt shaft and we had to have 2 sitting on the stern to go
                good. it ran fine . max knots was achieved at 3/4 revs. actually
                faster than the 10' dinghy than it was bought for!

                > Have you tried the sprit sail that is specified as an alternate rig
                > for the cartopper? Looks as if it might fit, and the spars are a
                bit
                > shorter and easier to stow.
                having 2 masts and 4 sails allows easy sail reduction and everyone
                has something to do.
                cheers Paul

              • captreed2000
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 5, 2002
                  If you search the
                  > files for June Bugs, Botany Bay....... you'll find a photo.
                  > The centre line of the keels is slightly aft of the possition
                  where
                  > the leeboard would have gone.
                  > cheers paul

                  Hi Paul,

                  Thanks. Like Phil B. has said, "The urge to modify a design by a
                  home builder is irresistable." I see you use my favorite sailcloth.

                  Reed