test of june bug Bilge keels

  • pauldayau
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 29, 2002
      Last weekend I finally got to test the bilgekeels I fitted to the
      June bug 12 months ago. We sailed with a mirror dinghy On our local
      lake in winds from light to strong.
      In light winds we couldnt tack near as well , but as the wind
      increased we were pleasantly suprised to find we could tack as fast
      and high . on long beats we would lay back and just plonk along
      whilst the crew in the mirror had to leap about to balance it all.
      Later the other crew went for a sail in the JB and were a
      bitsuprised to.
      After all the discussion over time on leeboards and lifting up
      and down etc I think it all becomes much of a muchness. . we could
      still sail into water so shallow you could stick your hand on the
      bottom with no diddling around. beaching was a doddle . the other
      boats would slow down whilst they fiddled with swing rudders and a
      centerboard. we on the other hand would sheet in , hang on and
      charge at the beach, like a hobie cat, till we ploughed up in the mud.
      1/4 " ply is starting to seem like armour compared to some of the
      othr dinghies out there.
      something to think about
      cheers paul
    • captreed2000
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 30, 2002
        > something to think about
        > cheers paul

        Yeah, sounds great. Have you posted the specs for the bilge keels?
        I'm curious about their size and construction.

        Reed
      • pauldayau
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2002
          --- In bolger@y..., "captreed2000" <captreed@a...> wrote:

          > > something to think about
          > > cheers paul
          >
          > Yeah, sounds great. Have you posted the specs for the bilge
          keels?
          > I'm curious about their size and construction.
          >
          > Reed
          g'day reed,
          The keels are 4" deep and 3' long they are screwd through the bottom
          and epoxied . they snug up against the runners . If you search the
          files for June Bugs, Botany Bay....... you'll find a photo.
          The centre line of the keels is slightly aft of the possition where
          the leeboard would have gone.
          cheers paul
        • joannabruce4338
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2002
            How do the keels affect the rowing?
          • pauldayau
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 3, 2002
              --- In bolger@y..., "joannabruce4338" <jbn@p...> wrote:
              > How do the keels affect the rowing?
              they improved it!!!!. She still turns in her own length, but glides
              better. , 2 strokes per boat length.
              a small skeg wouldnt hurt. to be really manouverable the kids all
              sit on the prow, And i mean all the kids.
              cheers paul
            • joannabruce4338
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 3, 2002
                How many kids? "all" implies at least 3!

                Design (!) question: why were the keels butted against the shoes,
                rather than on top of them? I understand that they might be a bit
                more secure as you have them, but on top of the shoes they might
                create less drag.

                I intend to try my British Seagull outboard on the back, so will make
                the transom a bit higher.

                Have you tried the sprit sail that is specified as an alternate rig
                for the cartopper? Looks as if it might fit, and the spars are a bit
                shorter and easier to stow.

                to be really manouverable the kids all
                > sit on the prow, And i mean all the kids.
                > cheers paul
              • pauldayau
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 5, 2002
                  --- In bolger@y..., "joannabruce4338" <jbn@p...> wrote:
                  > How many kids? "all" implies at least 3!
                  Only 4 are sailing yet. the 3 oldest have all been trapezing off a
                  hobie before they were 7 year old.

                  > Design (!) question: why were the keels butted against the shoes,
                  > rather than on top of them? I understand that they might be a bit
                  > more secure as you have them, but on top of the shoes they might
                  > create less drag.
                  DRAG is a rather technical term in my book. by glueing next to 2
                  surfaces its stonger.

                  > I intend to try my British Seagull outboard on the back, so will
                  make
                  > the transom a bit higher.
                  If you lowered the deck and made a transom at that hieght it would
                  be perfect for a short shaft seagull.
                  We put a 2.5 hp seagull on the back of our folding schooner, (31').
                  it was a shrt shaft and we had to have 2 sitting on the stern to go
                  good. it ran fine . max knots was achieved at 3/4 revs. actually
                  faster than the 10' dinghy than it was bought for!

                  > Have you tried the sprit sail that is specified as an alternate rig
                  > for the cartopper? Looks as if it might fit, and the spars are a
                  bit
                  > shorter and easier to stow.
                  having 2 masts and 4 sails allows easy sail reduction and everyone
                  has something to do.
                  cheers Paul

                • captreed2000
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 5, 2002
                    If you search the
                    > files for June Bugs, Botany Bay....... you'll find a photo.
                    > The centre line of the keels is slightly aft of the possition
                    where
                    > the leeboard would have gone.
                    > cheers paul

                    Hi Paul,

                    Thanks. Like Phil B. has said, "The urge to modify a design by a
                    home builder is irresistable." I see you use my favorite sailcloth.

                    Reed