[bolger] Plans for Storm Petrel?

  • Greg Curtis
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 4, 2000
      I am interested in buying a set of plans for
      the Storm Petrel, which I think is Bolger design
      number 337. I would contact Mr. Bolger directly,
      but I don't know how. Thanks in advance.

      Greg Curtis
    • Peter Vanderwaart
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 7, 2000
        From MAIB, Dec,15,1999:

        Phil Bolger & Friends, Inc.
        Boat Designers,
        PO Box 1209
        Gloucester, MA 01930

        FAX: 978-282-1349

        I wonder if Mr. Bolger would suggest a Micro-type keel these days,
        rather than the flat steel plate.

        Peter

        "greg curtis" <gbcurti-@...> wrote:
        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=2343
        > I am interested in buying a set of plans for
        > the Storm Petrel, which I think is Bolger design
        > number 337. I would contact Mr. Bolger directly,
        > but I don't know how. Thanks in advance.
        >
        > Greg Curtis

      • Matthew Long
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 7, 2000
          See Chuck Merrell's PRIVATE POSTINGS page (link in the vault) for
          Bolger's chapter on Storm Petrel in DIFFERENT BOATS.

          I doubt that PCB would recommend a Micro-type keel for Storm Petrel as
          the simplicity of the steel keel is part of the boat's "raison d'etre."
          Plus, when discussing the modest rig he highlighted the fact that it
          is not a hull shape that would reward a big rig or a sophisticated keel.

          I have Storm Petrel plans, as I have mentioned before in this group,
          and I still think it would make a great boat, within its limitations
          like any boat. I spoke to PCB and SA over the summer about some mods
          to the accommodations or the rig, but I think now I would go with the
          stock design if I built it. It could be a great all-around day
          motorsailer for a couple without much interest in cruising, but wanting
          substantial dry stowage for picnicing or camping gear. It does offer
          emergency accommodations in a pinch.

          With an infant son in the house now, though, I am a little leery of a
          boat that you are more on top of than in, hence my recent interest in
          catboat types. Storm Petrel would need some serious railings for peace
          of mind with the little guy. Plus the dream of cruising vs. the
          reality of family outings (it's a production just to go to the mall) is
          beginning to sink in.

          More on the catboat research coming up!

          Matthew Long
          http://www.gis.net/~owlnmole/Pages/brick.html

          "peter vanderwaart" <pvander-@...> wrote:
          original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=2349

          > From MAIB, Dec,15,1999:
          >
          > Phil Bolger & Friends, Inc.
          > Boat Designers,
          > PO Box 1209
          > Gloucester, MA 01930
          >
          > FAX: 978-282-1349
          >

          > I wonder if Mr. Bolger would suggest a Micro-type keel these days,
          > rather than the flat steel plate.
          >
          > Peter
          >

          > "greg curtis" <gbcurti-@...> wrote:
          > original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=2343
          > > I am interested in buying a set of plans for
          > > the Storm Petrel, which I think is Bolger design
          > > number 337. I would contact Mr. Bolger directly,
          > > but I don't know how. Thanks in advance.
          > >
          > > Greg Curtis

        • P. Vanderwaart
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 7, 2000
            We took my son on my Cynthia J. catboat when he was 2 and 3. Standing the
            seat, the rail was shoulder high. I rarely had much concern here on Long
            Island Sound. He did have to learn about the pinching potential of the
            leeboards though.

            A Cynthia J. could be capsized if enough things went wrong, which would be
            a big mess. It would hold a lot of water. I bought a block of foam with the
            intention of putting some in the cabin, but I sold the boat before I
            completed the job.

            The rough water capability of a Cynthia J. depends on the number of people
            aboard. I only sailed it single handed once, and I was surprised by how
            much quicker it heeled. It was a lot of fun, though a little laborious in
            setup and takedown to be a really good trailer boat.

            Peter

          • Greg Curtis
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 7, 2000
              "peter vanderwaart" <pvander-@...> wrote:
              original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=2349

              > From MAIB, Dec,15,1999:
              >
              > Phil Bolger & Friends, Inc.
              > Boat Designers,
              > PO Box 1209
              > Gloucester, MA 01930
              >
              > FAX: 978-282-1349
              >

              > I wonder if Mr. Bolger would suggest a Micro-type keel these days,
              > rather than the flat steel plate.
              >
              > Peter
              >

              > "greg curtis" <gbcurti-@...> wrote:
              > original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=2343
              > > I am interested in buying a set of plans for
              > > the Storm Petrel, which I think is Bolger design
              > > number 337. I would contact Mr. Bolger directly,
              > > but I don't know how. Thanks in advance.
              > >
              > > Greg Curtis

            • Greg Curtis
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 7, 2000
                Thanks for the information. If the boat gets
                built, which is likely since I'm almost finished
                with the current boatbuilding project, I'll
                let you know how it sails on San Francisco Bay.

                Greg Curtis
              • Matthew Long
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 7, 2000
                  The only Storm Petrel I know of is modified with a more traditional
                  doghouse and a spritsail sloop rig, and is currently sailing (15 years
                  and counting) on the San Francisco Bay.

                  The owner is named Marc Lander, and he bought the boat from the second
                  owner, who bought the boat from the builder--Marc's own cousin!

                  I will email him privately and ask him to contact you.

                  Regards,

                  Matthew

                  "greg curtis" <gbcurti-@...> wrote:
                  original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=2374
                  > Thanks for the information. If the boat gets
                  > built, which is likely since I'm almost finished
                  > with the current boatbuilding project, I'll
                  > let you know how it sails on San Francisco Bay.
                  >
                  > Greg Curtis

                • David Beede
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 1, 2000
                    Curious about the name "Storm Petrel"?
                    I ran across another design by that name on the web...
                    http://www.swallowboats.demon.co.uk/storm-petrel.htm
                    A double ender by a UK designer Nick Newland of Swallowboats.
                    Seemed such an odd name to be duplicated so I thought there may be
                    a referent here I'm not familiar with?
                    david

                    "greg curtis" <gbcurti-@...> wrote:
                    original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=2374
                    > Thanks for the information. If the boat gets
                    > built, which is likely since I'm almost finished
                    > with the current boatbuilding project, I'll
                    > let you know how it sails on San Francisco Bay.
                    >
                    > Greg Curtis

                    > eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger

                    SOME CLICKS THAT COUNT!!
                    Feed someone.
                    http://www.thehungersite.com/
                    Save a little rain forest.
                    http://rainforest.care2.com/front.html/player12296

                    Simplicity Boats (& mirror sites)
                    http://members.tripod.com/simplicityboats/index.html
                    http://members.xoom.com/simpleboats/index.html
                    Here's my latest boat:
                    http://members.tripod.com/simplicityboats/featherwind.html
                    http://members.xoom.com/simpleboats/featherwind.html
                    Quasi esoteric musical instruments
                    http://unicornstrings.com
                  • Matthew Long
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 1, 2000
                      I did some research on this because Bolger's design appeals to me.

                      Storm petrels are a family of seabirds related to albatroses and the
                      like. They spend almost their whole lives on the open ocean, and I
                      think they were once considered to be harbingers of storms (hence the
                      name). They exist in enormous, uncounted numbers spread over the
                      oceans of the world. I read somewhere that the sparrow-sized Wilson's
                      storm petrel may be the most numerous of all birds. They are also
                      known for "running" across the surface of the water with wings
                      outstretched.

                      Any of these things might account for the popularity of the name for
                      small ocean-going boats.

                      Here's a link to an Encyclopedia Brittanica article

                      http://www.britannica.com/bcom/eb/article/2/0,5716,71652,00.html

                      and a photo

                      http://museum.ednet.ns.ca/mnh/nature/nsbirds/bns0019.htm

                      Matthew "ready to start the Storm Petrel club" Long

                      david beede <juliej-@...> wrote:
                      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=3327
                      > Curious about the name "Storm Petrel"?
                      > I ran across another design by that name on the web...
                      > http://www.swallowboats.demon.co.uk/storm-petrel.htm
                      > A double ender by a UK designer Nick Newland of Swallowboats.
                      > Seemed such an odd name to be duplicated so I thought there may be
                      > a referent here I'm not familiar with?
                    • David Ryan
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 1, 2000
                        FBBB --

                        Thanks for the lesson. It makes me rather curious about the boat. Any
                        online pictures/drawings?

                        >I did some research on this because Bolger's design appeals to me.
                        >
                        >Storm petrels are a family of seabirds related to albatroses and the
                        >like. They spend almost their whole lives on the open ocean, and I
                        >think they were once considered to be harbingers of storms (hence the
                        >name). They exist in enormous, uncounted numbers spread over the
                        >oceans of the world. I read somewhere that the sparrow-sized Wilson's
                        >storm petrel may be the most numerous of all birds. They are also
                        >known for "running" across the surface of the water with wings
                        >outstretched.

                        David Ryan
                        Minister of Information and Culture
                        Crumbling Empire Productions
                        (212) 247-0296
                      • Matthew Long
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 1, 2000
                          If you mean the boat, not the bird, search for "storm petrel" to find
                          my (and others') earlier postings in the group, most recently #3304.

                          Here is the link again to Chuck Merrell's site for Phil's DIFFERENT
                          BOATS chapter on Storm Petrel in Adobe Acrobat .pdf format:

                          http://members.xoom.com/_XMCM/merrellc1/Files/petrel.pdf

                          There are also a couple of pics in the vault of Marc Lander's
                          spritsail-sloop-rigged Storm Petrel in San Francisco, as well as my
                          sketch of a modified (cuddy top and "eye" deadlights) one.

                          Regards,

                          Matthew

                          david ryan <davi-@...> wrote:
                          original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=3335

                          > FBBB --
                          >
                          > Thanks for the lesson. It makes me rather curious about the boat. Any
                          > online pictures/drawings?
                        • Lincoln Ross
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 3, 2000
                            I know the following is a long post, but it seems relevant to the
                            recent discussions of the Storm Petrel and of rigs. I quote below from
                            two messages I received from various Newlands (I've lost track, or
                            possibly just one) of Swallowboats.

                            "The dipping lug is a fantastic rig in many ways. Our designer is a big
                            fan of Phil Bolger! However, I have sailed her extensively with the
                            dipping lug and tacking is not the main problem in my experience.
                            Because the sail is so small (70 sq foot, as opposed to a few hundred sq
                            foot in the trad fishing boats) it can be dipped by unhooking the tack
                            and flicking the throat of the sail round the mast, then re hooking. It
                            does take longer than a normal rig, and is quicker with two, as the
                            other person can move the sheet block to the other side of the boat,
                            whilst the crew man is dipping.
                            In my experience the worst feature of the rig is that it is not very
                            stable when running in a blow. Bolger says it is docile....hmmm... maybe
                            it is when you have a few tonnes of lead in your keel, as his live-
                            aboard has. On a small dingy, the twist in the sail causes rythmic
                            rolling which nearly capsized me the other day! In addition to this, if
                            the sail is let out too far, the boat can capsize the "wrong" way, that
                            is too windward. obviously the sheets would be knotted to prevent this,
                            but it still feels out of control when running to my mind. Having said
                            this, It was approaching a force 7 and on a broad reach I am sure I had
                            her almost planing!, which for her double ended hull form is pretty much
                            impossible!
                            I thought about adding some form of loose footed boom from the mast to
                            the clew, but concluded it would get in the way a lot when dipping. I
                            have yet to do the experiments on this though, and if you are
                            interested, I will get back to you, hopefully with photos.
                            At the moment I am sailing her with a balanced lug rig, which is
                            superbly controllable, with an adjustable outhaul, and temporary full
                            width, variable thickness battens.
                            She performs well under this rig, and we have some photos at the
                            developers, which we will post on the website as soon as we have them
                            back.
                            > > http://www.swallowboats.demon.co.uk/storm-petrel.htm
                            > > A double ender by a UK designer Nick Newland of Swallowboats.
                            > snip
                            With reference to the lug rigs...
                            The fully battened sail definitely improves the performance somewhat,
                            especially when sailing on the "wrong" tack. The battens help to hold
                            the shape over the mast. The tension in the foot of the sail (outhaul)
                            is fairly important, but we are also looking at some different ways of
                            easing the problem. Aerodynamics tells us that there must be a loss of
                            efficiency on the wrong tack, but to be honest, I have not noticed it
                            myself when sailing.
                            In light to moderate winds I can reliably tack the rig through 80
                            degrees, though the last 5 on either side tend to be a bit slower. In
                            stronger winds, the head of the sail gets blown too much to leeward
                            meaning that the boom has to be sheeted almost to the centreline in
                            order for the top of the sail to be working. This twist in high windsis
                            a problem, but we are experimenting with different cuts of sail to see
                            what can be done to address this problem.
                            Unfortunately, test conditions here on the West coast of Wales have been
                            far from perfect over the last month or so, and it has been difficult to
                            obtain much meaningful test information.
                            We have far from given up on the dipping lug rig, but do feel that it is
                            not giving it's full potential yet. In theory, it should perform
                            superbly, and this is what we are working towards!