Re: [bolger] Sailing our creations

  • wmrpage@aol.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 2, 2002
      fountainb@... writes:

      > Sailing by the lee does not involve swinging the boom
      > ahead of the mast - I can't imagine why anyone would
      > try such a stunt.

      In light airs, on certain courses, this gives more speed than running broad
      off. It's strickly a light-air gambit as: (1) the boat heels to windward as
      the sail goes ahead of the mast; and then, the real excitement (2) the heel
      reverses when you sheet back in square off on a reach or to jibe, accompanied
      by some unusual steering dynamics. When the wind was too strong, I've managed
      to extricate myself from this by chasing boom and tacking. Perhaps I was 1/2
      way to re-inventing the "S-jibe" without realizing it! Anyway, it can be fun
      if you're ghosting around trying to eke the most out of light and uncertain
      winds.

      Ciao for Niao,
      Bill in MN

    • Bruce Fountain
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 2, 2002
        On Monday 02 September 2002 21:27, juliejj@... wrote:
        > There are methods of self steering downwind that involve the main and jib
        > or double sails trimed angled out ahead of the mast, so boat direction is
        > self correcting... just one reason someone might try "such a stunt".

        I have never seen this, but it sounds like an interesting technique. It
        sounds like a dunking waiting to happen on a small, tender dinghy in
        heavy air. These are usually cat rigged too, so I doubt if you could self
        steer.

        --
        Bruce Fountain (fountainb@...)
        Senior Software Engineer