Re: Wyo - Copper/Epoxy coating.

  • jhbjap
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2002
      --- In bolger@y..., "david@s..." <juliejj@n...> wrote:
      > Jeff,
      > Thanks for that report. Where did you get your copper powder?
      > David
      > www.simplicityboats.com

      I wasn't sure that anyone had actually done the home made stuff
      before so I posted my report.

      Here is the link to the site where I got the copper.

      http://www.epoxyproducts.com/marine.html

      I'm sure different epoxys will have different mixing results but the
      website has good instructions on thinning but I didn't have to
      thin. I applied it at a rate of about 360 sq ft per gallon. Two
      coats made it a coverage of about 180 sq Ft per gallon.

      It's not the best bottom coating labor wise because it will need a
      light scrubbing every 90 days or so to get the scum off or the hard
      growth will attach to that stuff. I opted for it because it's epoxy
      and can set out of the water forever and not lose it's
      effectiveness. Just a light scrub with a brillo pad to remove the
      tarnish and your good to go.

      I was curious how the copper could be exposed being imbedded in
      epoxy but early this AM I went out and ran my fingers over the
      finish. A couple hours later, the copper had slightly tarnished the
      same as the bottom of a copper kettle reacting to finger prints so
      it must be well exposed.

      Jeff