Re: [bolger] Wyo - Copper/Epoxy coating.

  • david@simplicityboats.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2002
      Jeff,
      Thanks for that report. Where did you get your copper powder?
      David
      www.simplicityboats.com
      ~~~/^\
      / \
      / /
      /_____/
      _______ /___/
      \__________/
      \/

    • jhbjap
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2002
        --- In bolger@y..., "david@s..." <juliejj@n...> wrote:
        > Jeff,
        > Thanks for that report. Where did you get your copper powder?
        > David
        > www.simplicityboats.com

        I wasn't sure that anyone had actually done the home made stuff
        before so I posted my report.

        Here is the link to the site where I got the copper.

        http://www.epoxyproducts.com/marine.html

        I'm sure different epoxys will have different mixing results but the
        website has good instructions on thinning but I didn't have to
        thin. I applied it at a rate of about 360 sq ft per gallon. Two
        coats made it a coverage of about 180 sq Ft per gallon.

        It's not the best bottom coating labor wise because it will need a
        light scrubbing every 90 days or so to get the scum off or the hard
        growth will attach to that stuff. I opted for it because it's epoxy
        and can set out of the water forever and not lose it's
        effectiveness. Just a light scrub with a brillo pad to remove the
        tarnish and your good to go.

        I was curious how the copper could be exposed being imbedded in
        epoxy but early this AM I went out and ran my fingers over the
        finish. A couple hours later, the copper had slightly tarnished the
        same as the bottom of a copper kettle reacting to finger prints so
        it must be well exposed.

        Jeff