Re: Wyo - Copper/Epoxy coating.

  • jhbjap
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2002
      --- In bolger@y..., "Harry W. James" <welshman@p...> wrote:
      > Jeff
      >
      > Next batch you paint, sent me a square and I will weight it and
      hang it
      > off the back of my boat for a test run.

      Will do but it'll be awhile. I could rescue the paint tray out of
      the trash bin and cut up a 6" square and send it, otherwise I'll
      paint up some Maranti sometime in October or Nov. When I hopefully
      to the bottom of the last section. You could test the durability of
      Maranti at the same time.

      Jeff
    • david@simplicityboats.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2002
        Jeff,
        Thanks for that report. Where did you get your copper powder?
        David
        www.simplicityboats.com
        ~~~/^\
        / \
        / /
        /_____/
        _______ /___/
        \__________/
        \/

      • jhbjap
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2002
          --- In bolger@y..., "david@s..." <juliejj@n...> wrote:
          > Jeff,
          > Thanks for that report. Where did you get your copper powder?
          > David
          > www.simplicityboats.com

          I wasn't sure that anyone had actually done the home made stuff
          before so I posted my report.

          Here is the link to the site where I got the copper.

          http://www.epoxyproducts.com/marine.html

          I'm sure different epoxys will have different mixing results but the
          website has good instructions on thinning but I didn't have to
          thin. I applied it at a rate of about 360 sq ft per gallon. Two
          coats made it a coverage of about 180 sq Ft per gallon.

          It's not the best bottom coating labor wise because it will need a
          light scrubbing every 90 days or so to get the scum off or the hard
          growth will attach to that stuff. I opted for it because it's epoxy
          and can set out of the water forever and not lose it's
          effectiveness. Just a light scrub with a brillo pad to remove the
          tarnish and your good to go.

          I was curious how the copper could be exposed being imbedded in
          epoxy but early this AM I went out and ran my fingers over the
          finish. A couple hours later, the copper had slightly tarnished the
          same as the bottom of a copper kettle reacting to finger prints so
          it must be well exposed.

          Jeff