Re: [bolger] Wyo - Copper/Epoxy coating.

  • Harry W. James
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2002
      Jeff

      Next batch you paint, sent me a square and I will weight it and hang it
      off the back of my boat for a test run.

      Every thing I have read suggests that it will resist hard growths for a
      loooong time but you need to scrub regularly for soft.

      HJ

      boatbuilding@... wrote:

      > Today I coated both bottoms of the front section and the
      > cockpit section with copper / epoxy. I bought copper power and
      > mixed it with epoxy to come up with the home brew of
      > CopperPoxy. I mixed up a gallon since that's what the
      > CopperPoxy page said it would take to cover the two sections.
      >
      > I measured out 2/3 gallon of resin and 1/3 gallon of hardner
      > into two large coffee cans and added the same ratio of copper
      > to each for a 3lbs / gallon mix. It seemed thin enough so I
      > added another lb. of copper This seems about right without
      > thinning the epoxy. The range is 3-5 lbs per gallon but I think
      > 5lbs. would be a bit too much without thinning. I rolled on
      > two coats 6 hours apart and on the second coat, the copper
      > color really came out.
      >
      > This is very easy to work with and the Very Slow hardener from
      > RAKA gave me more than enough working time in 85 degree weather
      > to mix and roll on about 16 oz. at a time.
      >
      > A couple notes, this stuff mixes hard so a paint mixer is a big
      > help. I used coffee cans and the copper/resin is fine but the
      > copper/hardner got a dark tone to it. I think the
      > copper/hardner/tin can all combined and set up a reaction. It
      > did rolled on without discoloring and setup fine. Don't know,
      > maybe some chemist out there will know but I'm using plastic
      > jugs next time.
      >
      > One more note, mix it constantly as the copper is much heavier
      > than the resin and will settle to the bottom fairly fast.
      >
      > Over all I'd recommend this method to get $100.00/gallon
      > copper/epoxy rather than 4 times that amount at the store.
      > 4lbs seemed about right too for the RAKA epoxy. Rolled nice
      > enough but don't use a brush, it doesn't work at all. To brush
      > I'd go to the 3 lbs. / gallon mix and thin it alot.
      >
      > I'll post pictures next week on my site.
      >
      > Jeff
      > www.dreamwater.net/cosailor

    • jhbjap
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2002
        --- In bolger@y..., "Harry W. James" <welshman@p...> wrote:
        > Jeff
        >
        > Next batch you paint, sent me a square and I will weight it and
        hang it
        > off the back of my boat for a test run.

        Will do but it'll be awhile. I could rescue the paint tray out of
        the trash bin and cut up a 6" square and send it, otherwise I'll
        paint up some Maranti sometime in October or Nov. When I hopefully
        to the bottom of the last section. You could test the durability of
        Maranti at the same time.

        Jeff
      • david@simplicityboats.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2002
          Jeff,
          Thanks for that report. Where did you get your copper powder?
          David
          www.simplicityboats.com
          ~~~/^\
          / \
          / /
          /_____/
          _______ /___/
          \__________/
          \/

        • jhbjap
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 2, 2002
            --- In bolger@y..., "david@s..." <juliejj@n...> wrote:
            > Jeff,
            > Thanks for that report. Where did you get your copper powder?
            > David
            > www.simplicityboats.com

            I wasn't sure that anyone had actually done the home made stuff
            before so I posted my report.

            Here is the link to the site where I got the copper.

            http://www.epoxyproducts.com/marine.html

            I'm sure different epoxys will have different mixing results but the
            website has good instructions on thinning but I didn't have to
            thin. I applied it at a rate of about 360 sq ft per gallon. Two
            coats made it a coverage of about 180 sq Ft per gallon.

            It's not the best bottom coating labor wise because it will need a
            light scrubbing every 90 days or so to get the scum off or the hard
            growth will attach to that stuff. I opted for it because it's epoxy
            and can set out of the water forever and not lose it's
            effectiveness. Just a light scrub with a brillo pad to remove the
            tarnish and your good to go.

            I was curious how the copper could be exposed being imbedded in
            epoxy but early this AM I went out and ran my fingers over the
            finish. A couple hours later, the copper had slightly tarnished the
            same as the bottom of a copper kettle reacting to finger prints so
            it must be well exposed.

            Jeff