Re: Yahoo Is At It Again-Let Them Hear From All of You

  • rnlocnil
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 30, 2002
      What exactly are they doing and how do I opt out of it? I can't seem
      to find the opt out this time.
    • Frank Bales
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 30, 2002
        Yahoo apparently blocked the link I tried to send for their survey about charging for groups again. I sent it to all of the groups I belong to, and it didn't go through in any of them. I'll try again:
        http://sweepstakes.yahoo.com/groupspremiumsurvey2

        rnlocnil
        wrote:What exactly are they doing and how do I opt out of it? I can't seem
        to find the opt out this time.

        Bolger rules!!!

      • Harry W. James
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 30, 2002
          Tim you still mirroring the group? It looks like the time to move maybe
          getting closer.

          HJ

          Frank Bales wrote:

          > Yahoo apparently blocked the link I tried to send for their survey about charging for groups again. I sent it to all of the groups I belong to, and it didn't go through in any of them. I'll try again:
          > http://sweepstakes.yahoo.com/groupspremiumsurvey2
          >
          > rnlocnil
          > wrote:What exactly are they doing and how do I opt out of it? I can't seem
          > to find the opt out this time.

        • k_s_oneill
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 31, 2002
            Hi

            I've thought for a while that Yahoo was taking advantage of the fact that fewer and fewer people know how to access Usenet. If you've never used usenet, and you don't have a newsreader like Agent, go to groups.google.com, and take a look at a moderated group on a subject you're interested in. A distinction to be made here is that Google archives Usenet groups, but does not control them in any way, and cannot charge for access to them. Usenet is not web based, it's a text and binary sort of a 'message board' format.

            A few good examples to search for at groups.google.com might be

            misc.kids.moderated
            misc.legal.moderated
            misc.taxes.moderated

            There are lots of others. One can read and post through Google, but using a dedicated newsreader like Free Agent (available at http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php) is much superior. If we were interested in sharing pictures we could either set up a web page or post them to a moderated binaries group; the latter would not be permenant, since google doesn't archive images, but would serve for 'just launched my boat' sort of stuff.

            Usenet has a reputation for porn and spam, but in a moderated newsgroup one can have the same sort of discussions we have here, with much faster access, with a better and easier to follow thread structure, without the threat of charging us for access to our own records, and without the bother of ads. As Yahoo starts to squeeze us, we might consider showing them we're not just sheep to be fleeced, and try to at least set up a mirror usenet group if not move alltogether.

            Kevin