RE: Superbrick

    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 15, 2002
      Enough Superbrick dreaming, someone
      has to get serious or I will have to
      build one, <grin>

      30 sheets 1/4" plywood = $450
      30 gallons epoxy = $1,000
      6 hp motor $2,000
      Sail $1,000
      Yards $500
      Other things $3,000
      ==============================
      $8,000

      Plus, perhaps 400 manhours @ $20/hr
      $8,000
      =============
      $16,000

      Not bad; for a really excellent sheltered water
      vacation boat, cheaper than a 'cabin on the lake'
      and cheaper that most Motorhomes and 'boat show'
      houseboats.

      How much does PB&F charge for plans?
    • sacalman
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 8 2:28 PM
        Hello all,

        Just curious if anybody is building one yet? I Really would like to
        see some study plans of one. Can somebody direct me to some?\

        Scott Calman
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 9 2:57 PM
          The chapter in the book _Boats With an Open Mind_
          contains reproductions of all the drawing sheets
          of Superbrick, except one [which contains bulkhead
          details].

          There is also a building key, floating around,
          most commonly the plans were sold by Common Sense
          Designs for a few years.

          I have never heard of a Superbrick being built, you
          should build one, and win a prize!

          What is the pot up to now anyway?
        • John Warns
          Message 4 of 14 , May 26, 2005
            Does anyone know if this craft was actually constructed?

            john

            Message 5 of 14 , May 26, 2005
              On 5/26/05, John Warns <johnwarns@...> wrote:
              > Does anyone know if this craft was actually constructed?
              >
              > john

              No, based on a recent letter from PCB, he didn't mention
              knowing of one built, and I am if he did know he would
              have mentioned such.

              Are you considering building a Superbrick?
            • John Warns
              Message 6 of 14 , May 26, 2005
                I have to admit that the design is interesting, I've built the small version and it seems to sail well. Are the plan available?

                john

                Bruce Hallman <bruce@...> wrote:
                On 5/26/05, John Warns <johnwarns@...> wrote:
                > Does anyone know if this craft was actually constructed?
                >
                > john

                No, based on a recent letter from PCB, he didn't mention
                knowing of one built, and I am if he did know he would
                have mentioned such.

                Are you considering building a Superbrick?

                Bolger rules!!!

              • Harry James
                Message 7 of 14 , May 26, 2005
                  Isn't there a bunch of pledges from members of this group to the first
                  builder of a superbrick? I think the other Bruce H (Hector) was keeping
                  track.

                  HJ

                  Bruce Hallman wrote:

                  >On 5/26/05, John Warns <johnwarns@...> wrote:
                  >

                  >>Does anyone know if this craft was actually constructed?
                  >>
                  >>john
                  >>

                  >No, based on a recent letter from PCB, he didn't mention
                  >knowing of one built, and I am if he did know he would
                  >have mentioned such.
                  >
                  >Are you considering building a Superbrick?
                  >

                  >Bolger rules!!!
                  >Yahoo! Groups Links
                  >

                  >.

                • Wayne
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 26, 2005
                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Harry James <welshman@p...> wrote:
                    > Isn't there a bunch of pledges from members of this group to the
                    first
                    > builder of a superbrick? I think the other Bruce H (Hector) was
                    keeping
                    > track.
                    >
                    > HJ

                    Aye! I am in for a gallon of George Kirby's finest dark blue marine
                    enamel paint. There is a bonus if the boat is painted with the Kirby
                    dark blue plaint and named according to my insructions.

                    Wayne
                    In the Swamp.
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 26, 2005
                      well. Are the plans available?

                      > john

                      $200, I understand, directly from Phil Bolger.
                    • John B. Trussell
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 27, 2005
                        Superbrick is a grand idea until you start counting the sheets of plywood required and consider what else you could build for the same money. You can get a quart in a pint container, but it costs about as much as a quart in a quart container.

                        John T

                        Bruce Hallman wrote:

                        >On 5/26/05, John Warns <johnwarns@...> wrote:
                        >

                        >>Does anyone know if this craft was actually constructed?
                        >>
                        >>john
                        >>

                        >No, based on a recent letter from PCB, he didn't mention
                        >knowing of one built, and I am if he did know he would
                        >have mentioned such.
                        >
                        >Are you considering building a Superbrick?
                        >

                        >Bolger rules!!!
                        >Yahoo! Groups Links
                        >

                        >.

                        Bolger rules!!!

                      • Bruce Hector
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 27, 2005
                          Yep, but what about a power only SB with the bottom caried straight
                          back for planeing? Or is Watervan the logical power conclusion to the
                          SB dream?

                          Bruce Hector
                          Who just happens to have the NY Watervan coming to the 2005 Kingston
                          Messabout, along with the Bolger Houseboat!
                        • Goff Family
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 29, 2009
                            Wondering if anyone had a set of superbrick plans they'd like to sell?
                          • prairiedog2332
                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 7, 2010
                              Anybody hear how Paul Hardy is doing with his Superbrick build? There have been some guys asking at another group if one has been finished and some interest in the design. Wondering about the price of plans as well. Still $200 anybody know? And do they now come with the cutwater option?

                              Nels
                            • Harry James
                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 7, 2010
                                There are many of us on the list who pledged money to the first one
                                built. I am in for $50. I think there was more than a boat buck on the
                                table.

                                HJ