FWIW Paint

  • Robert D. Chamberland
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2002
      This has been an interesting couple of days. I am finishing my Bobcat and
      yesterday evening I was facing a paint disaster. Blisters. Zillions of them
      all over the deck of my newly painted Bobcat. A call to the Interlux
      service line and a return call from the local International Paint rep gave
      me the following information. Besides all the usual caveats about removing
      the amine blush from epoxy coatings I have been given the reasons behind
      some of the instructions on the can. I am using Interlux Brightside which
      has served me well in the past. First the instructions say to sand the
      Brightside primer until it is translucent. No reason given on the can. I am
      told that the primer contains microballons which I was aware of however I
      was not aware that microballoons take in water. The point of sanding to
      translucency is that it is necessary to remove almost all of the primer
      leaving only that which fairs the surface. The second thing I learned was
      that Brightside Polyurathane requires anywhere up to 2 weeks or more to
      fully cure and that it is vulnerable during this period. In my case my
      Bobcat was moved out of the garage several days after being painted-this a
      week or so ago. The day before yesterday we had a gullywasher of a storm
      which left standing water on the deck. By evening, where there was standing
      water, there were pinhead sized blisters. This morning there were zillions
      more. By three oclock this afternoon after baking in the hot sun they were
      almost gone. There are only few left now.
      Maybe I'll refinish the deck this winter but then again maybe a full cure
      will prevent the re-formation of the blisters.
      Bob Chamberland