Re: [bolger] Re: Cabin Clam Skiff Photo

  • Sakari Aaltonen
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 2 12:14 PM
      > Is the docking problem you mentioned caused by the operator being in
      > the cabin and not able to get 'outside' to tie up the lines quickly?
      > I've wondered about a couple of PCB's boats in that regard.
      >
      > PHV

      To date, I have been fortunate enough to have company (wife, niece)
      who have kindly volunteered to tie the lines. If I were alone,
      well, it would be a sorry sight.

      Part of the problem is that the slip is rather narrow and close
      to the shore (in the photo, I'm just out of it, reversing.) The
      speed has to be low, so steering is difficult. When docking, a
      burst of reverse has often been needed. But it has to be timed
      just right...

      Sakari Aaltonen
    • Sakari Aaltonen
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 2 12:33 PM
        > ........... Enjoy her. Does she have a name?
        >
        > Bruce

        In theory, she has, TYYNE AALTONEN after my late mother. But I
        found painting the registration plates so much trouble I haven't
        got around to painting the name. Lazy, I know...

        Sakari Aaltonen
      • dbaldnz
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 2 12:34 PM
          Very Nice boat Sakari, and what a beautiful location.
          How many horsepower is the motor, and how fast does she go?
          DonB

          --- In bolger@y..., Sakari Aaltonen <sakari@a...> wrote:
          > Hello,
          > a photo of my Cabin Clam Skiff is at
          >
          > http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/projects/sakari/index.htm
          >

          > Sakari Aaltonen
        • Sakari Aaltonen
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 2 12:48 PM
            > I'll bet part of the problem is the inherent difficulty in precisely
            > maneuvering a shallow flattie with a lot of windage.

            I really can't say; I haven't tried this with other kinds of boat.

            > I'm trying to plan a business trip to Finland for later in the month of
            > August, I'd love to see your boat if our schedules permit. (I work for a
            > Finnish company, BTW).
            >
            > JB

            You are welcome, of course. But note that I'll be on vacation for two
            weeks starting Friday the 9th. I'll be going to the 'quiet lake' that
            is mentioned on Duckworks; I'm building a small sailboat for this right
            now (can't afford a trailer for the CC Skiff.)

            By the way, the Duckworks text was not intended to be published.
            It was just meant as an explanation why I wasn't prepared to
            write an article...

            Sakari Aaltonen
          • Sakari Aaltonen
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 2 12:56 PM
              > Very Nice boat Sakari, and what a beautiful location.
              > How many horsepower is the motor, and how fast does she go?
              > DonB

              Thank you. The engine is a 40HP four-stroke Yamaha. I don't
              know how fast she goes; I don't have a measuring device.
              She feels plenty fast.

              Sakari Aaltonen
            • announcer97624
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 2 3:50 PM
                Sakari, you have a very fine boat there. How long did it take to
                complete? I hope you did not suffer a major loss when your boat was
                vandalized. It is a shame that others show such little respect for
                another persons labor and dreams.

                I was under the impression that Finland was a particularly law
                abiding country with no crime to speak of. I am curious about the
                charges in your country to register your boat?

                John

                --- In bolger@y..., Sakari Aaltonen <sakari@a...> wrote:
                > Hello,
                > a photo of my Cabin Clam Skiff is at
                >
                > http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/projects/sakari/index.htm
                >

                > Sakari Aaltonen
              • Sakari Aaltonen
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 3 12:59 AM
                  > How long did it take to complete?

                  About seven months - I started in December. But the boat is not
                  really complete. There are no lights, for example.

                  > I was under the impression that Finland was a particularly law
                  > abiding country with no crime to speak of.

                  Yeah, well, I suppose there are worse places...

                  > I am curious about the
                  > charges in your country to register your boat?
                  >
                  > John

                  25EUR (about 25USD). Boats with outboards up to 20HP do
                  not have to be registered.

                  Sakari Aaltonen