Re: [bolger] Digest Number 1128 - MICROLIGHT - What it is

  • Ron Magen
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2002
      'Proa' & 'Lincoln',

      I'm a big believer in 'generics', myself. Nor do I like to hand-sand
      '21st century rock'. Therefore, I went on this search sometime ago.

      One of the clues is in the description of 410 itself, or rather a
      caution. It recommends NOT to use it under dark colors.

      Dark colors + hot sun = increased heat -> therefore the material is
      thermo-plastic in nature.

      An 'equivalent' is a finely shredded plastic material. If memory serves,
      I ordered it from one source and the actual material come from another,
      Ken Hankinson Associates. They define it as 'Plastic Mini Fibers'.

      Regards,
      Ron Magen
      Backyard Boatshop

      [Now that was terminally stupid ! If I keep giving away my 'trade
      secrets' why would anyone order a boat from me ??]

      Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 03:28:16 -0000
      From: "proaconstrictor" <proaconstrictor@...>
      Subject: Re: Talc vs Microlight

      --- In bolger@y..., "rnlocnil" <lincolnr@r...> wrote:
      > If their other stuff is priced like West's epoxy, you can save big
      > bucks by buying 410 equivalent someplace else. I don't remember
      what
      > 410 is, but I seem to recall microballoons are not prohibitively
      > expensive mail ordered.

      410 - "Microlight mixes with greater ease than 407 Low-Density filler
      or microballoons and is approximately 30% easier to sand."

      I don't know what they put in 410, they have never been forthcoming
      about it, as far as I have seen. My guess has always been that it is
      some product like Talc, but with a binder built into it so that it
      doesn't end up all over the place. It is probably the neatest
      material to mix of any. I am pretty sweet on 410 actualy, just not
      this time on this boat.