Sail No Protocol

  • dukepryer
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2002
      Hello fellow Bolger builders/ sailers.

      I have just ordered the sails for my Long Micro, and the sailmakers
      asked me if I wanted a number on the sail.

      My question, is there an established protocol . i.e. LM ****
      SOMETHING.

      Has anyone put numbers or any identification on their sails.
      My original thought were to put LM and then the plan issue no, but
      there is no issue number on the plans.

      Any thoughts ?

      Andrew Pryer
      Victoria
      Australia
    • Paul Lefebvre
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2002
        you could take the greek letter used for 'micro', which looks like a
        longhand lower-case u, and stretch it to make it 'long'.....

        ;-)

        Paul L.

      • ghartc
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2002
          I'm sure you know this, but the sail number is the serial number of
          the boat. In the case of homebuilts that are raced, the class
          association that governs the design awards the number when
          you "register" your boat (pay the dues). In the absence of a class,
          what you need to do(?) is estimate or calculate the number of LM's
          built and assign yourself that number plus one. Maybe you could find
          out the number of plans sold and estimate a completion ratio.

          However, the more civic-minded thing to do would be to start a class
          association for the Long Micro ;-}

          Gregg Carlson

          --- In bolger@y..., "dukepryer" <dukepryer@e...> wrote:
          > Hello fellow Bolger builders/ sailers.
          >
          > I have just ordered the sails for my Long Micro, and the sailmakers
          > asked me if I wanted a number on the sail.
          >
          > My question, is there an established protocol . i.e. LM ****
          > SOMETHING.
          >
          > Has anyone put numbers or any identification on their sails.
          > My original thought were to put LM and then the plan issue no, but
          > there is no issue number on the plans.
          >

          > Any thoughts ?
          >

          > Andrew Pryer
          > Victoria
          > Australia
        • dukepryer
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 3, 2002
            Paul that's the kind of quirky yet lateral thinking I like , how is
            it pronounced , does it sound the same as the English 'U" .