Re: Cabin Clam Skiff Photo

  • pvanderwaart
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 2, 2002
      The boat looks very nice indeed. I'm sure you will enjoy her a lot.

      Is the docking problem you mentioned caused by the operator being in
      the cabin and not able to get 'outside' to tie up the lines quickly?
      I've wondered about a couple of PCB's boats in that regard.

      PHV
    • John Bell
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 2, 2002
        I'll bet part of the problem is the inherent difficulty in precisely
        maneuvering a shallow flattie with a lot of windage. It gets easier with
        practice, but believe me it's easy to embarrass yourself with one of these.
        It pays to be patient and have a sense of humor.

        I'm trying to plan a business trip to Finland for later in the month of
        August, I'd love to see your boat if our schedules permit. (I work for a
        Finnish company, BTW).

        JB

        | The boat looks very nice indeed. I'm sure you will enjoy her a lot.
        |
        | Is the docking problem you mentioned caused by the operator being in
        | the cabin and not able to get 'outside' to tie up the lines quickly?
        | I've wondered about a couple of PCB's boats in that regard.
        |
        | PHV
        |

        | Bolger rules!!!
        | - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, or flogging dead horses
        | - stay on topic, stay on thread, punctuate, no 'Ed, thanks, Fred' posts
        | - add your comments at the TOP and SIGN your posts and <snip> away
        | - To order plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA,
        01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
        | - Unsubscribe: bolger-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
        | - Open discussion: bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      • Hal Lynch
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 2, 2002
          On Friday, August 2, 2002, at 12:51 AM, Sakari Aaltonen wrote:

          > Hello,
          > a photo of my Cabin Clam Skiff is at
          >
          > http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/projects/sakari/index.htm

          Beautiful.

          hal
        • Sakari Aaltonen
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 2, 2002
            > Is the docking problem you mentioned caused by the operator being in
            > the cabin and not able to get 'outside' to tie up the lines quickly?
            > I've wondered about a couple of PCB's boats in that regard.
            >
            > PHV

            To date, I have been fortunate enough to have company (wife, niece)
            who have kindly volunteered to tie the lines. If I were alone,
            well, it would be a sorry sight.

            Part of the problem is that the slip is rather narrow and close
            to the shore (in the photo, I'm just out of it, reversing.) The
            speed has to be low, so steering is difficult. When docking, a
            burst of reverse has often been needed. But it has to be timed
            just right...

            Sakari Aaltonen
          • Sakari Aaltonen
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 2, 2002
              > ........... Enjoy her. Does she have a name?
              >
              > Bruce

              In theory, she has, TYYNE AALTONEN after my late mother. But I
              found painting the registration plates so much trouble I haven't
              got around to painting the name. Lazy, I know...

              Sakari Aaltonen
            • dbaldnz
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 2, 2002
                Very Nice boat Sakari, and what a beautiful location.
                How many horsepower is the motor, and how fast does she go?
                DonB

                --- In bolger@y..., Sakari Aaltonen <sakari@a...> wrote:
                > Hello,
                > a photo of my Cabin Clam Skiff is at
                >
                > http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/projects/sakari/index.htm
                >

                > Sakari Aaltonen
              • Sakari Aaltonen
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 2, 2002
                  > I'll bet part of the problem is the inherent difficulty in precisely
                  > maneuvering a shallow flattie with a lot of windage.

                  I really can't say; I haven't tried this with other kinds of boat.

                  > I'm trying to plan a business trip to Finland for later in the month of
                  > August, I'd love to see your boat if our schedules permit. (I work for a
                  > Finnish company, BTW).
                  >
                  > JB

                  You are welcome, of course. But note that I'll be on vacation for two
                  weeks starting Friday the 9th. I'll be going to the 'quiet lake' that
                  is mentioned on Duckworks; I'm building a small sailboat for this right
                  now (can't afford a trailer for the CC Skiff.)

                  By the way, the Duckworks text was not intended to be published.
                  It was just meant as an explanation why I wasn't prepared to
                  write an article...

                  Sakari Aaltonen
                • Sakari Aaltonen
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 2, 2002
                    > Very Nice boat Sakari, and what a beautiful location.
                    > How many horsepower is the motor, and how fast does she go?
                    > DonB

                    Thank you. The engine is a 40HP four-stroke Yamaha. I don't
                    know how fast she goes; I don't have a measuring device.
                    She feels plenty fast.

                    Sakari Aaltonen
                  • announcer97624
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 2, 2002
                      Sakari, you have a very fine boat there. How long did it take to
                      complete? I hope you did not suffer a major loss when your boat was
                      vandalized. It is a shame that others show such little respect for
                      another persons labor and dreams.

                      I was under the impression that Finland was a particularly law
                      abiding country with no crime to speak of. I am curious about the
                      charges in your country to register your boat?

                      John

                      --- In bolger@y..., Sakari Aaltonen <sakari@a...> wrote:
                      > Hello,
                      > a photo of my Cabin Clam Skiff is at
                      >
                      > http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/projects/sakari/index.htm
                      >

                      > Sakari Aaltonen
                    • Sakari Aaltonen
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 3, 2002
                        > How long did it take to complete?

                        About seven months - I started in December. But the boat is not
                        really complete. There are no lights, for example.

                        > I was under the impression that Finland was a particularly law
                        > abiding country with no crime to speak of.

                        Yeah, well, I suppose there are worse places...

                        > I am curious about the
                        > charges in your country to register your boat?
                        >
                        > John

                        25EUR (about 25USD). Boats with outboards up to 20HP do
                        not have to be registered.

                        Sakari Aaltonen