Re: sailing report on Micro

  • dnjost
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2002
      I will amend this message a little:

      today we had 7 kt SE. I discovered that the lee helm I was
      experiencing before was easily corrected by trimming the boat so that
      the lee chine is just immersed. What a difference.

      As for the rig, I just read in Herreshoff's The Compleat Cruiser, of
      a neat arrangement for securing the clew using a block of wood with a
      hole in it screwed to one side, and a wooden thumb cleat opposite.
      One ties a stopper knot in a line and passes it through a hole in the
      block (similar to the snotter blocks that are drawn on my plans) and
      then through the clew grommet and the around the thumb cleat, back
      through the clew and then around the boom behind the cleat, secure
      with a couple of half hitches. Seems pretty simple! and cheap.

    • jhkohnen@boat-links.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2002
        You can't get much cheaper or simpler than a loop snugly fitted over the end
        of the boom. <g>

        http://www.boat-links.com/images/ClewBecket.jpg

        --
        John <jkohnen@...>