Re: [bolger] Talc

  • David Ryan
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1 3:48 PM
      I've been wondering if drywall joint compound, in powdered form,
      might make a good 410 substitute. Anyone want to mix us a test batch?

      >I have used a ton of west 410 in the past, but I was wondering what
      >kind of results I could expect using talc instead. I imagine it will
      >float everywhere during mixing, but I am working outdoors, and can
      >live with that up to a point. I need to fair my raw edges on Eeek,
      >and don't want to shell out for 410. This could end up a dumpster
      >boat in pretty short order.
      >

      >Bolger rules!!!
      >- add your comments at the TOP and SIGN your posts and <snip> away
      >- To order plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester,
      >MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

      C.E.P.
      415 W.46th Street
      New York, New York 10036
      http://www.crumblingempire.com
      Mobile (646) 325-8325
      Office (212) 247-0296
    • Kreamer
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1 4:17 PM
        I�d shy away from using anything that would remain �reactive� in the
        future, that might react with the cured epoxy, weakening it. Talc seems
        OK.

        -Bill

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        C.E.P.
        415 W.46th Street
        New York, New York 10036
        http://www.crumblingempire.com
        Mobile (646) 325-8325
        Office (212) 247-0296

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Click here to find your contact lenses!
        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=225674.2075965.3644786.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=1705
        065791:HM/A=1153174/R=7/*http://www.lensexpress.com>

        Bolger rules!!!
        01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • rnlocnil
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1 6:24 PM
          If their other stuff is priced like West's epoxy, you can save big
          bucks by buying 410 equivalent someplace else. I don't remember what
          410 is, but I seem to recall microballoons are not prohibitively
          expensive mail ordered. Raka? Clark Craft? I'll bet talc would sand
          very nice, but be heavy. Talc makes a nice filler when using model
          airplane dope. Then there's all those other fillers we discussed on
          this list earlier, I think, or was that the Michalak list?
          --- In bolger@y..., "proaconstrictor" <proaconstrictor@y...> wrote:
          > I have used a ton of west 410 in the past, but I was wondering what
          > kind of results I could expect using talc instead. I imagine it
          will
          > float everywhere during mixing, but I am working outdoors, and can
          > live with that up to a point. I need to fair my raw edges on Eeek,
          > and don't want to shell out for 410. This could end up a dumpster
          > boat in pretty short order.
        • proaconstrictor
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1 8:28 PM
            --- In bolger@y..., "rnlocnil" <lincolnr@r...> wrote:
            > If their other stuff is priced like West's epoxy, you can save big
            > bucks by buying 410 equivalent someplace else. I don't remember
            what
            > 410 is, but I seem to recall microballoons are not prohibitively
            > expensive mail ordered.

            410 - "Microlight mixes with greater ease than 407 Low-Density filler
            or microballoons and is approximately 30% easier to sand."

            I don't know what they put in 410, they have never been forthcoming
            about it, as far as I have seen. My guess has always been that it is
            some product like Talc, but with a binder built into it so that it
            doesn't end up all over the place. It is probably the neatest
            material to mix of any. I am pretty sweet on 410 actualy, just not
            this time on this boat.