[bolger] Re: Zydeco

  • david
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 1999
      Richard,
      I found that the Zydeco functioned much like my "Common Sense" Pirogue.
      It is more stable than a round-bottomed canoe, tracks well, and--unlike the
      Pirogue--it is easy to cartop. The sixteen foot Pirogue I built weighs around
      ninety pounds and is difficult to manhandle on and off of the roof rack of my
      car. It once self-launched into Long Lake in the Adirondacks, taking the
      car's windshield out on the way down. Zydeco is light enough that even a
      klutz like myself can prevent such disasters. The boat's downsides are few:
      a tendency to pound in a chop, too much freeboard to use a double paddle,
      minimum space for two adults and gear. Of course, Zydeco is strictly a
      paddle boat, no sailing gear is suggested in the plans. The seats designed for

      the boat were too high for stability in anything but a flat calm. I took them
      out and sat on a boat cushion on the bottom, which worked fine (The seats,
      by the way, are of a clever design and quite comfortable and attractive.
      They were also a pain in the butt to build. I hope some day to fit them into
      another boat.). I have used the boat on lakes, ponds, and small rivers in the
      Catskills and Adirondacks of New York State. It does okay in power boat
      wakes and wind-driven chop. I have never tried using it in surf or rapids--it
      isn't designed for such work, and neither am I. I finally sold it to my boss'
      son, who uses it for fishing on local lakes and even rigged a small outboard
      to it. He seems happy with it. Btw, I still have the Pirogue,
      david

      PS: Oh, yeah: the boat weighed 45 lbs., fully glassed outside, without the
      seats. I built it out of 1/4" luan and white cedar.