Re: What's the purpose of bedding compound?

  • dnjost
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 30 4:02 AM
      Dennis,

      Bedding compound is useful to keep water out of areas you do not want
      it such as the underlying wood, yet it allows you to remove the
      hardware that has been bedded for painting ( who knows, someone may
      want to do a linear polyurethane job on your creation in the future)
      relocation, etc... It is good practice to bed any piece of hardware
      that is installed through the boat. I bedded all of the hardware:
      cleats, blocks, handrails, etc... on Micro with polysulfide sealant.
      The windows were bedded in marine grade silicone. I am now thinking
      of relocating a couple of cleats, and installing more mooring
      cleats. Eventually, the lexan windows will need replacing. This
      will be a relatively simple job.

      The bedding compound ensures that water is not seeping into the
      bolt/screw holes and running amok in the wood beneath. Don't use
      epoxy or polyurethane for bedding compound unless you are sure you
      never want to move those parts again.

      David Jost