Re: Otter II

  • brucehector
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 29, 2002
      Yes please, post scans of the design to the group, or at Bolger2 if
      this one is full. Some of us don't have a book with Otter2 in it. I'd
      love to see what changes were made from Otter1.
    • ntsrfer
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 20 11:09 AM
        How the building of the Otter II going ?
        Any pictures?

        Todd

        --- In bolger@y..., "imreddieru1019" <imreddieru1019@y...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        > I building an Otter II and have found on the offset drawing page
        that
        > there are two sets of profile offsets; "Expanded hull sides-true
        > shape-no deductions" and bellow it another set of offsets. Which are
        > the ones that are to be drawn on the ply-wood. Can anyone help?
        > Thanks,
        > Ed
      • pthelin1
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 9, 2012
          Has anyone here built and sailed an Otter II?

          I like the design for its size--20 feet seems right to have tied up to the floating home, but I'm curious how it stands up to weather. San Pablo bay can get quite rough, a foot or two chop isn't unusual in the afternoons. How easy is it to reef down when the wind picks up?

          Also, can it hold four people for a short sail?

          Peter
        • Peter
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 10, 2012
            > Has anyone here built and sailed an Otter II?
            > Also, can it hold four people for a short sail?

            The fact that Otter is an older design and few have built built suggest that a careful look is in order. I think I remember a comment that Otter II had marginal stability and required ballast not shown on the plans.

            In contrast, Micro, Long Micro, Chebacco, and Black Skimmer have all been built in numbers and are in the same ballpark as far as size and cost.

            I think you might look at Wish II, shown in 30 Odd Boats. His remarks there are not encouraging, mostly because of the overly ambitious cabin arrangement. A modified plan is available, I think. At least, a man built one with an arrangement more like LM or BS, and took it the length of the Mississippi River with his daughter.

            Any of these boats should be able to handle 4 for a daysail. My Cynthia J. catboat could do it, and she was only 15 ft.

            Peter
          • c.ruzer
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 11, 2012
              Peter,

              Dave Carnell built himself one. Perhaps an archived email exchange below may help to inform - I don't believe Dave of the great "$200 Sailboat" (what's happened to that one now? - done by permission and after the Bolger Featherwind) would mind his opinion of the Otter2 being passed on in this forum. I'm not sure of Dave's physical size...
              http://www.simplicityboats.com/featherwind.html

              I had hoped the Otter II would be a trailerable sailboat. It was too
              heavy and difficult to rig for that. It was a good sailer, thouigh.
              Bolger told me the other two prototype builders swamped their boats, so I
              built flotation into the cockpit, but never had real problems. By the
              time I had water coming over the gunwale, the rig dumped its wind.

              It was terribly cramped for two to cruise aboard. I used it for ten years
              till the worms ate through the bottom and sank her at her mooring.

              Dave