[bolger] ply sources

  • Peter Vanderwaart
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2000
      For those of you without a nearby source of ply, I would ask if there is
      a boatbuilder near you. Perhaps you could piggyback on a bigger
      builder's order and keep shipping costs down.

      Peter
    • Jack E. Bearden
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2, 2000
        At 08:20 PM 2/1/2000 -0500, you wrote:

        >For those of you without a nearby source of ply, I would ask if there is
        >a boatbuilder near you. Perhaps you could piggyback on a bigger
        >builder's order and keep shipping costs down.
        >
        >Peter

        Good thought, and one I'll continue to pursue. So far the builders around
        here I've checked that order any quantity are geared toward lobster and
        scallop boats and cape islanders. They don't bother with marine ply at all,
        only construction grade.

        jeb, snooping my way along the Fundy shore

        >Get what you deserve with NextCard Visa! ZERO! Rates as low as
        >0.0% Intro APR, online balance transfers, Rewards Points, no
        >hidden fees, and much more! Get NextCard today and get the credit
        >you deserve! Apply now! Get your NextCard Visa at:

        >-- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=bolger&m=1

      • Peter Vanderwaart
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 3, 2000
          The more I thought about this, the more it seemed silly to restrict
          yourself to boatbuilders. All kinds of tradesmen, like kitchen and bath
          remodelers, use plywood in steady but small quantities, in both rough
          construction grades and cabinet-level grades. A birch veneer could be
          quite stunning, properly varnished.

          Seriously, you might find someone with a source for MDO, for example.

          Peter

          > Good thought, and one I'll continue to pursue. So far the builders
          around
          > here I've checked that order any quantity are geared toward lobster
          and
          > scallop boats and cape islanders. They don't bother with marine ply
          at all,
          > only construction grade.
          >
          > jeb, snooping my way along the Fundy shore

        • Jack Bearden
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 3, 2000
            I know you're kidding about the birch veneer, but if anybody out there
            doesn't know, NEVER use kitchen grade cabinet ply on a boat. Most of it's
            not made with waterproof glue. What by the way is MDO?

            jeb, who learned the hard way about cabinet ply, even on the Fundy shore
          • George Shannon
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 3, 2000
              bearde-@... (jack bearden) wrote:
              original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=2265
              > I know you're kidding about the birch veneer, but if anybody out there
              > doesn't know, NEVER use kitchen grade cabinet ply on a boat. Most of
              it's
              > not made with waterproof glue. What by the way is MDO?
              >
              > jeb, who learned the hard way about cabinet ply, even on the Fundy
              shore

              > Jack, MDO is medium density overlay. It is used in outdoor
              advertising and according to the factory, they use marine type glues in
              laminating. It comes in one sided or two with a thin film. I don't
              know what the film material is. I bought one sided for Micro Trawler.

              George Shannon
            • Peter Vanderwaart
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 3, 2000
                MDO is 'medium density overlay.' It is plywood with a paper surface made for
                painting. It is used for exterior signs, etc. In MAIB, there was an article
                about building a Fast Motorsailer out of MDO and it was satisfactory, as far
                as I know. Since it is intended for exterior signs, it is waterproof. There
                is also a 'high density overlay,' I suppose.

                Peter

                Jack Bearden wrote:

                > I know you're kidding about the birch veneer, but if anybody out there
                > doesn't know, NEVER use kitchen grade cabinet ply on a boat. Most of it's
                > not made with waterproof glue. What by the way is MDO?
                >
                > jeb, who learned the hard way about cabinet ply, even on the Fundy shore

                > -- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/bolger/?m=1
              • Richard Spelling
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 3, 2000
                  Peter Vanderwaart wrote:
                  > as I know. Since it is intended for exterior signs, it is waterproof. There
                  > is also a 'high density overlay,' I suppose.

                  I have a utility wagon that has a 'high density overlay" bed. Some sort
                  of resin coating over the wood.

                  I've intentionaly let the kids leave it outside for the last year or so.
                  No warping, but sections of the top layer are starting to delaminate.
                  --
                  Richard
                  Spelling|richard@...|http://www.spellingbusiness.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 4, 2000
                    Peter, thanx for clearing up the MDO question. Something else to put on my quest list. Ironically the hard lesson I learned about kitchen birch was from making an exterion sign for a friend. Looked like a busted bag of potato chips by spring.

                    jeb