[bolger] Re: Michalak butt joints

  • jmbell@mindspring.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 1999
      jmbel-@... wrote:

      My windsprint has the 4" wide plywood butt blocks hel in place by epoxy
      only and a strip of 6 oz FG tape on the outside. Works well. I tried to
      clinch the nails as specified by Payson but like you I found it was a
      mess. So, I pulled them.

      My other boat has a piece of lumberyard 1x4 as butt blocks. They are
      glued with epoxy and secured with brass screws. This was what was
      recommeded by Michalak in the plans. It didn't tape anything in the
      butt, but the outside of this boat is glassed. Again, no problems. It
      does make more of a flat spot on the topsides than a thinner butt block
      might.

      JB

      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=212