[bolger] narrow boats

  • David Ryan
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2000
      FBBB --

      Still ruminating.

      I am thinking that the longer a boat is for a given width/shape, the
      more sail it will stand up to. The longer it is, the more boat is put
      under when it heals, sort of like stability from being wide, only
      going in the other direction.

      Seams like it ought to be true, but is it?

      YIBB,

      David Ryan
      Minister of Information and Culture
      Crumbling Empire Productions
      (212) 247-0296
    • ryann
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2000
        David,

        A longer kayak can be narrower and retain the same stability......Also
        faster per effort put in and about the same weight if planned right. A
        narrower sailboat can carry less sail to maintain it's hull speed, and if
        it is a lower rig, heel less also.

        First timer to the group

        Ryerson