[bolger] Re: WDJ I've started,have ?S

  • James Fuller
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2000
      Hi,

      You might try Noah's Marine in Toronto.

      http://www.noahsmarine.com

      They show okoume marine plywood at:

      1/4" 38.00 sheet
      3/8" 47.00 sheet
      1/2" 68.00 sheet

      those prices are u.s. dollars.

      James Fuller

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Jack Bearden" <BeardeJE@...>
      To: <bolger@egroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2000 12:44 PM
      Subject: [bolger] Re: WDJ I've started,have ?S

      > Thanx, Richard, for ply specs. Plywood shopping in Nova Scotia is a bit of
      a separate reality. The only real source of marine ply I've discovered only
      carries a mahogany type product for about $120/sheet for half inch. The
      prices go up from there. I need to check into free trade policies re.
      bringing plywood across the border into Canada. Would like to here from
      anyone in Canada who's found good (better than what I quoted above) deals on
      good (the operative word) marine ply.

      > By the way, watched the WDJ video for the first time last night. I'm
      convinced I (we) bought the right plans. Based on Bill Jochems comments on
      construction, your idea of heavier marine fir for shoe and sole with lighter
      occome for sides and decks is probably a good one.

      > jeb, suffering marine ply envy on the shores of Fundy

      > -- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=bolger&m=1

    • Jack Bearden
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2000
        Thanx James, I'll check out Noah's. A bit annoyed by dealers north of the 40th who quote US $'s. $68 sounds good initially, but by the time I factor Canadian $ plus shipping I'll be surprised if its better than the stuff available in Halifax for $120. I'll do the math to see how it comes out.

        jeb

        >>> "James Fuller" <Jamar@...> 02/01/00 03:57pm >>>
        Hi,

        You might try Noah's Marine in Toronto.

        http://www.noahsmarine.com

        They show okoume marine plywood at:

        1/4" 38.00 sheet
        3/8" 47.00 sheet
        1/2" 68.00 sheet

        those prices are u.s. dollars.

        James Fuller

        > Thanx, Richard, for ply specs. Plywood shopping in Nova Scotia is a bit of
        a separate reality. The only real source of marine ply I've discovered only
        carries a mahogany type product for about $120/sheet for half inch. The
        prices go up from there. I need to check into free trade policies re.
        bringing plywood across the border into Canada. Would like to here from
        anyone in Canada who's found good (better than what I quoted above) deals on
        good (the operative word) marine ply.

        > By the way, watched the WDJ video for the first time last night. I'm
        convinced I (we) bought the right plans. Based on Bill Jochems comments on
        construction, your idea of heavier marine fir for shoe and sole with lighter
        occome for sides and decks is probably a good one.

        > jeb, suffering marine ply envy on the shores of Fundy

        > -- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=bolger&m=1

        Get what you deserve with NextCard Visa! ZERO! Rates as low as 0.0%
        Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR, online balance transfers, Rewards Points,
        no hidden fees, and much more! Get NextCard today and get the credit
        you deserve! Apply now! Get your NextCard Visa at:
        http://click.egroups.com/1/931/5/_/3457/_/949434983/

        -- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=bolger&m=1
      • Jack E. Bearden
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2000
          Thanx again to James and also to Derek. Encouraging to hear about decent
          deals for plywood being within the realm of possibility. Noah's was a very
          good lead. Turns out they do quote Canadian prices. Also turns out that
          price + shipping, for at least one respectable looking choice, would be less
          than local supplier. Of course this would only be true if I buy all the
          plywood at once. Always a catch. Got this gut feeling that there must be
          some good marine ply available in Maine at acceptable prices. The bigger
          question of course is getting it across the border. Not your typical tourist
          cross-border shopping spree item.

          jeb
        • DEREK WATERS
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2000
            Jack

            Persevere with the ply hunting. Eventually, I found just one place in the
            greater Vancouver area (Smith Plywood, Langley) who would bring in Meranti,
            at a price lower than I could find Fir marine anywhere else. They had the
            two BS standard grades (numbers I looked up at the time, and which now
            escape me). The cheaper grade in 1/4" was about C$45 and the pricey grade in
            3/8 was about C$75.

            So far I've reduced a couple of sheets of the cheap 1/4" to small pieces
            (building a 'Nymph') without finding a single flaw. Very pretty wood.

            regards
            Derek