[bolger] Windsprint - no Fiberglass????

  • oswald@columbia.sparta.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 1999
      Hi all,

      Looking over the plans, list of material and building directions for
      Windsprint in the New Instant Boats. I noticed that there is NO
      fiberglass used.

      Is this right? I think I want to tape the chimes, stems, and butt
      joints at least...

      DGO
    • jmbell@mindspring.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 1999
        jmbel-@... wrote:

        You don't need to use any glass in the construction of Windsprint. On
        mine, I only glassed the outer seams of the plywood butts to keep them
        from gapping. The only reason to glass, IMO is to keep inferior plywood
        from checking. THe bottom of my ACX fir boat is so badly checked that
        it leaks a bit on putting in the water. After a while, the wood swells
        a bet and the leakage stops.

        My advice is to skip the glass and most of the epoxy. If you feel
        compelled to glass something, glass the bottom only for abrasion
        resistance. Glue the boat together with 5200 or some other easily
        applied goop. The stems and chines don't really need taping. Screw 'em,
        glue 'em, then fuggitabouddit....

        Best,

        JB

        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=218