[bolger] Re: glass boards in wooden boats

  • Tim Smith
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 1, 2000
      "orr, jamie" <jor-@...> wrote:
      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=2167
      > Tim
      >
      > How is your board made? And how did it warp -- that is did it cup,
      or bend
      > longwise, or twist, or whatever?
      >
      > My own board is still standing in the shed, so I have no idea what
      will
      > happen when it gets wet. However, with three pieces of ply laminated
      > together, then covered in glass, I'm amazed it can even think about
      warping!

      > Jamie Orr

      Jamie, my board was made by Brad Story, who I guess is said to have
      wrangled with PCB about construction; don't know if any changes were
      made here. Haven't gotten a close enough look to say in which planes
      it's warped. I know it seems inconceivable--mine was planed, glassed
      and glued just two years ago. And Bill S. has the same problem.
    • Peter Vanderwaart
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 1, 2000
        My Stuart-built Mariner had a FG centerboard. No problems.

        Given a satisfactory way to build one, an FG board should work well. It
        would be heavy enought to do without lead inserts - a great convenience
        in the building. If you don't have a wooden core, I see no reason to
        use epoxy instead of polyester.

        The problem with using wood or, more especially, foam as a core is that
        the board may turn out to have positive buoyancy.

        There was an article in the Catboat Bulletin some years ago by a man
        who made a new centerboard for his Marshall catboat using an aluminum
        core (which was quite flexible), covered by FG. I wonder if there is
        some other possibility in the stacks at Home Depot. Perhaps some sort
        waterproof panel material used behind tile walls in bathrooms or under
        showers could be used as a core material.

        Peter
      • djost
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 1, 2000
          My 1969 Enterprise racing dinghy, a Jack Holt design, has a wooden
          centerboard. It is made out of marine ply and definitely has positive
          buoyancy. This is offset by a grip that consists of what looks like a pair
          of rubber hoses (perhaps old bicycle tires) screwed down so that they grip
          the board just enough so that it does not pop back up. Upwind, the
          combination of leeway and the rubber grips holds the board down.
          Downwind, when the boat starts to come up on plane the board will lift
          about half way up due to the lack of leeward pressure and the speed of the
          boat. That is ok as the boat is much faster with the board raised anyway.

          The biggest problem is that the board is susceptible to breakage. I think
          that it is just strong enough to stand on to right a capsized craft. I had
          occasion to do this last August in Wychmere Harbor on Cape Cod. The mast
          was stuck in the mud and the board held me ok. I have broken two boards
          since 1969, but I think that would be expected on a craft this old.

          Peter Vanderwaart wrote:

          > My Stuart-built Mariner had a FG centerboard. No problems.
          >
          > Given a satisfactory way to build one, an FG board should work well. It
          > would be heavy enought to do without lead inserts - a great convenience
          > in the building. If you don't have a wooden core, I see no reason to
          > use epoxy instead of polyester.
          >
          > The problem with using wood or, more especially, foam as a core is that
          > the board may turn out to have positive buoyancy.
          >
          > There was an article in the Catboat Bulletin some years ago by a man
          > who made a new centerboard for his Marshall catboat using an aluminum
          > core (which was quite flexible), covered by FG. I wonder if there is
          > some other possibility in the stacks at Home Depot. Perhaps some sort
          > waterproof panel material used behind tile walls in bathrooms or under
          > showers could be used as a core material.
          >
          > Peter

          > Apply NOW!

          > -- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/bolger/?m=1
        • Peter Vanderwaart
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 1, 2000
            Jack Holt used the same centerboard construction on the GP-14, which
            was the boat my family had when I was growing up. As I remember, the
            rubber friction device had a couple of screws. If you tightened them
            down, the rubber squished to the sides, increasing friction.

            Once when the friction wasn't holding the board down properly at a
            regatta, we tied it down. Then, when we hit a reef, the board broke at
            the pivot pin.

            Peter.

            original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=2183

          • Fraser Howell
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 1, 2000
              My Chebacco centreboard is a sandwich of 1/2 " exterior ply enclosing
              1/4" aluminum. I had originally glued it with an epoxy that was
              formulated to stick to Al, but the board had started to delaminate by
              the end of the first season. I then wrapped the edges in cloth and
              epoxy, but that got stuck in the case by mid-summer. I've given up on
              glue for the centrboard, and on trying to make the affair waterproof. I
              riveted the whole thing with copper rivets prior to last season, and
              have had no problems. The board is rigid, and takes the ground well, and
              only needed about 3 lb of lead to sink properly.
              The Chebacco rudder is welded al, and it has held up well. It has a
              horizontal plate on the bottom, and I use it as a boarding ladder when
              swimming.
              Cheers;
              Fraser Howell
            • Robert N. Lundy
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 1, 2000
                Oooo....

                Every once in while (ok, pretty often) I'm amazed at some of the original
                thinking on this list. Using the concrete backerboard from Home Depot would
                give some heft and glass/epoxy should stick. And you could leave out the
                lead as the concrete might have enough negative bouancy to sink the whole
                thing. And this is a product that's designed to withstand water in the
                first place.

                Neat idea. Who wants to try it?

                Robert & Amy Lundy
                St. Petersburg, fla.
                robert@...
                amy@...

              • Lincoln Ross
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 1, 2000
                  An aircraft homebuilding book I have says that gluing to aluminum can
                  be very difficult. All sorts of very careful surface prep required to
                  get a really reliable joint. scrub, phosphoric acid, distilled water
                  rinse, proper handling of cleaning rags, etc. CLeanliness absolutely
                  critical. Not to even be touched with hands. One trick was to put on
                  thin layer of slow epoxy and THEN do a final scrub, as epoxy would
                  prevent oxidation, etc. Of course you'd have to wipe the debris off.

                  fraser.howel-@... (fraser howell) wrote:
                  snipglued it with an epoxy that was
                  > formulated to stick to Al, but the board had started to delaminate by
                  > the end of the first season.

                • John Bell
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 1, 2000
                    I knew a guy who built wooden kayak paddles. He used aluminum plate
                    sandwiched in between the wooden faces to make a durable tip. He said he
                    tried everything to get that aluminum to stick because the tips getting
                    knocked out was the number one reason for returns. His solution to the
                    problem was pretty simple. He would drill a number of holes in the aluminum.
                    Then, he'd thread the holes with thick fiberglass yarn pulled off a piece of
                    heavy glass cloth. Then he would slather the slot in the tip of the paddle
                    with epoxy and slide the aluminum tip in. He later converted to plastic tips
                    using this technique. I suspect it would work pretty well for making a
                    plywood centerboard with an aluminum center, too.

                    John Bell
                    Kennesaw, GA
                    jmbell@...
                    http://jmbell.home.mindspring.com

                    > An aircraft homebuilding book I have says that gluing to aluminum can
                    > be very difficult. All sorts of very careful surface prep required to
                    > get a really reliable joint. scrub, phosphoric acid, distilled water
                    > rinse, proper handling of cleaning rags, etc. CLeanliness absolutely
                    > critical. Not to even be touched with hands. One trick was to put on
                    > thin layer of slow epoxy and THEN do a final scrub, as epoxy would
                    > prevent oxidation, etc. Of course you'd have to wipe the debris off.
                    >
                    > fraser.howel-@... (fraser howell) wrote:
                    > snipglued it with an epoxy that was
                    > > formulated to stick to Al, but the board had started to delaminate by
                    > > the end of the first season.

                    > Get what you deserve with NextCard Visa! ZERO! Rates as low as
                    > 0.0% Intro APR, online balance transfers, Rewards Points, no
                    > hidden fees, and much more! Get NextCard today and get the credit

                    > -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=bolger&m=1

                  • Lincoln Ross
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 1, 2000
                      The aircraft book I have says to do both. BUt then again, your boat
                      will still float if your board brakes. I think the epoxy layer helps,
                      but if you have a little oil in there I'll bet you are still sunk.

                      david <galvin-@...> wrote:
                      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=2202
                      > Lincoln:
                      > The Gougeon Brothers describe a technique of bonding epoxy to metals
                      where
                      > you clean the metal up and apply a layer of epoxy, then scrub the wet
                      > epoxied surface with stainless steel wool or wet and dry sandpapersnip
                      > > An aircraft homebuilding book I have says that snip
                    • david
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 1, 2000
                        Lincoln:
                        The Gougeon Brothers describe a technique of bonding epoxy to metals where you clean the metal up and apply a layer of epoxy, then scrub the wet epoxied surface with stainless steel wool or wet and dry sandpaper to achieve a raw surface onto which the epoxy and thus the wood, can bond. The sanding dust remains in the epoxy, where it presumably does no harm. I haven't tried this, but it seems workable on aluminum, and would save you the demanding surface prep that is usually required, as you suggest. Someone mentioned fastening the plywood to the aluminum with copper rivets, I think. In seawater I believe this would turn the board into a nice battery and rapidly devour the aluminum. You could get away with it in most fresh water environments, however,
                        david

                        Lincoln Ross wrote:

                        An aircraft homebuilding book I have says that gluing to aluminum can
                        be very difficult. All sorts of very careful surface prep required to
                        get a really reliable joint. scrub, phosphoric acid, distilled water
                        rinse, proper handling of cleaning rags, etc. CLeanliness absolutely
                        critical. Not to even be touched with hands.  One trick was to put on
                        thin layer of slow epoxy and THEN do a final scrub, as epoxy would
                        prevent oxidation, etc. Of course you'd have to wipe the debris off.

                        fraser.howel-@... (fraser howell) wrote:
                        snipglued it with an epoxy that was
                        > formulated to stick to Al, but the board had started to delaminate by
                        > the end of the first season.

                        Get what you deserve with NextCard Visa! ZERO! Rates as low as
                        0.0% Intro APR, online balance transfers, Rewards Points, no
                        hidden fees, and much more! Get NextCard today and get the credit
                        you deserve!  Apply now! Get your NextCard Visa at:
                        http://click.egroups.com/1/974/5/_/3457/_/949458808/

                        -- Create a poll/survey for your group!
                        -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=bolger&m=1

                      • Bill Samson
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 2, 2000
                          >get the **$�$! board out,
                          >plane it
                          > > down a bit, re-glass and epoxy it.
                          >

                          >Bill, that was my fix the last time around. Lasted two seasons. And
                          >the work was done by a reputable yard, not disreputable me.

                          A wee bit of lateral thinking here - but have you checked the slot and made
                          sure that it's not getting narrower (i.e. sides swelling)? That'd have the
                          same effect as a swelling board (though harder to fix). The slot should be
                          1.5" wide all over. The board should be 1.25" thick in the middle.

                          Have PCB&F got any views on the suitability of a steel centreplate for a
                          Chebacco?

                          Bill

                          Bill

                          Bill
                        • Fries, John
                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 2, 2000
                            Very interresting. A discussion a few days back about the relative ease of
                            building the Single Handed Schooner vs. Light Schooner focused on the lead
                            in the centerboard. How about using concrete? I know it wouldn't be as
                            heavy as the lead, but, if you coated the interior of the void to be filled
                            with epoxy first, that could address concerns about rot at the wood/concrete
                            interface. Probably would coat the outside of the concrete with epoxy for
                            further waterproofing. Is this crazy?

                          • Fries, John
                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 2, 2000
                              Yes, that's a good point and another very good idea. Having all these minds
                              working on a problem is an example of the net acting as a 'distributed
                              processing platform' for all of us biological computers.

                            • Chuck Leinweber