[bolger] Re: WDJ I've started,have ?S

  • stoverr
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 30, 2000
      Jack: Linnton Plywood in Portland Oregon quoted me 38$ for half inch
      marine and 50$ for three-quarter, but I have not seen nor have I bought it.
      Hard to say what the quality is like. I hear that marine ply rating has
      been lowered in recent years probably due to the decrease in quality of
      logs. I found some fantastic mdo for 24$ in half in that seems to be quite
      good quality. Maranti and ocoume go for around 70$ here. Richard.

      ----------
      From: Jack Bearden <BeardeJE@...>
      To: bolger@egroups.com
      Subject: [bolger] Re: WDJ I've started,have ?S
      Date: Monday, January 31, 2000 7:44 AM

      I too look forward to Bjorn's answer to the bottom sheating question. If
      you do work from underneath how do you get around the supporting horses? Or
      in Bjorn's case, the ladder frame?

      Richard, you can get marine fir ply for $38/ sheet???!

      jeb, in material cost dispair on the shores of Fundy

      GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates as low as 0.0%
      Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW!
      http://click.egroups.com/1/933/5/_/3457/_/949333520/

      -- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/bolger/?m=1

      ----------
    • Jack Bearden
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2000
        Thanx, Richard, for ply specs. Plywood shopping in Nova Scotia is a bit of a separate reality. The only real source of marine ply I've discovered only carries a mahogany type product for about $120/sheet for half inch. The prices go up from there. I need to check into free trade policies re. bringing plywood across the border into Canada. Would like to here from anyone in Canada who's found good (better than what I quoted above) deals on good (the operative word) marine ply.

        By the way, watched the WDJ video for the first time last night. I'm convinced I (we) bought the right plans. Based on Bill Jochems comments on construction, your idea of heavier marine fir for shoe and sole with lighter occome for sides and decks is probably a good one.

        jeb, suffering marine ply envy on the shores of Fundy
      • James Fuller
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2000
          Hi,

          You might try Noah's Marine in Toronto.

          http://www.noahsmarine.com

          They show okoume marine plywood at:

          1/4" 38.00 sheet
          3/8" 47.00 sheet
          1/2" 68.00 sheet

          those prices are u.s. dollars.

          James Fuller

          > Thanx, Richard, for ply specs. Plywood shopping in Nova Scotia is a bit of
          a separate reality. The only real source of marine ply I've discovered only
          carries a mahogany type product for about $120/sheet for half inch. The
          prices go up from there. I need to check into free trade policies re.
          bringing plywood across the border into Canada. Would like to here from
          anyone in Canada who's found good (better than what I quoted above) deals on
          good (the operative word) marine ply.

          > By the way, watched the WDJ video for the first time last night. I'm
          convinced I (we) bought the right plans. Based on Bill Jochems comments on
          construction, your idea of heavier marine fir for shoe and sole with lighter
          occome for sides and decks is probably a good one.

          > jeb, suffering marine ply envy on the shores of Fundy

          > -- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=bolger&m=1

        • Jack Bearden
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2000
            Thanx James, I'll check out Noah's. A bit annoyed by dealers north of the 40th who quote US $'s. $68 sounds good initially, but by the time I factor Canadian $ plus shipping I'll be surprised if its better than the stuff available in Halifax for $120. I'll do the math to see how it comes out.

            jeb

            >>> "James Fuller" <Jamar@...> 02/01/00 03:57pm >>>
            Hi,

            You might try Noah's Marine in Toronto.

            http://www.noahsmarine.com

            They show okoume marine plywood at:

            1/4" 38.00 sheet
            3/8" 47.00 sheet
            1/2" 68.00 sheet

            those prices are u.s. dollars.

            James Fuller

            > Thanx, Richard, for ply specs. Plywood shopping in Nova Scotia is a bit of
            a separate reality. The only real source of marine ply I've discovered only
            carries a mahogany type product for about $120/sheet for half inch. The
            prices go up from there. I need to check into free trade policies re.
            bringing plywood across the border into Canada. Would like to here from
            anyone in Canada who's found good (better than what I quoted above) deals on
            good (the operative word) marine ply.

            > By the way, watched the WDJ video for the first time last night. I'm
            convinced I (we) bought the right plans. Based on Bill Jochems comments on
            construction, your idea of heavier marine fir for shoe and sole with lighter
            occome for sides and decks is probably a good one.

            > jeb, suffering marine ply envy on the shores of Fundy

            > -- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=bolger&m=1

            Get what you deserve with NextCard Visa! ZERO! Rates as low as 0.0%
            Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR, online balance transfers, Rewards Points,
            no hidden fees, and much more! Get NextCard today and get the credit
            you deserve! Apply now! Get your NextCard Visa at:
            http://click.egroups.com/1/931/5/_/3457/_/949434983/

            -- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=bolger&m=1
          • Jack E. Bearden
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 1, 2000
              Thanx again to James and also to Derek. Encouraging to hear about decent
              deals for plywood being within the realm of possibility. Noah's was a very
              good lead. Turns out they do quote Canadian prices. Also turns out that
              price + shipping, for at least one respectable looking choice, would be less
              than local supplier. Of course this would only be true if I buy all the
              plywood at once. Always a catch. Got this gut feeling that there must be
              some good marine ply available in Maine at acceptable prices. The bigger
              question of course is getting it across the border. Not your typical tourist
              cross-border shopping spree item.

              jeb
            • DEREK WATERS
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 1, 2000
                Jack

                Persevere with the ply hunting. Eventually, I found just one place in the
                greater Vancouver area (Smith Plywood, Langley) who would bring in Meranti,
                at a price lower than I could find Fir marine anywhere else. They had the
                two BS standard grades (numbers I looked up at the time, and which now
                escape me). The cheaper grade in 1/4" was about C$45 and the pricey grade in
                3/8 was about C$75.

                So far I've reduced a couple of sheets of the cheap 1/4" to small pieces
                (building a 'Nymph') without finding a single flaw. Very pretty wood.

                regards
                Derek