[bolger] Re: Zydeco

  • Richard Barnes
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 1999
      Hi David,
      What was your experience with the Zydeco? Where did you use it; how did it
      compare to the typical canoe?
      Thanks,
      Richard

      , an Zydeco Pirogue,
    • david
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4, 1999
        Richard,
        I found that the Zydeco functioned much like my "Common Sense" Pirogue.
        It is more stable than a round-bottomed canoe, tracks well, and--unlike the
        Pirogue--it is easy to cartop. The sixteen foot Pirogue I built weighs around
        ninety pounds and is difficult to manhandle on and off of the roof rack of my
        car. It once self-launched into Long Lake in the Adirondacks, taking the
        car's windshield out on the way down. Zydeco is light enough that even a
        klutz like myself can prevent such disasters. The boat's downsides are few:
        a tendency to pound in a chop, too much freeboard to use a double paddle,
        minimum space for two adults and gear. Of course, Zydeco is strictly a
        paddle boat, no sailing gear is suggested in the plans. The seats designed for

        the boat were too high for stability in anything but a flat calm. I took them
        out and sat on a boat cushion on the bottom, which worked fine (The seats,
        by the way, are of a clever design and quite comfortable and attractive.
        They were also a pain in the butt to build. I hope some day to fit them into
        another boat.). I have used the boat on lakes, ponds, and small rivers in the
        Catskills and Adirondacks of New York State. It does okay in power boat
        wakes and wind-driven chop. I have never tried using it in surf or rapids--it
        isn't designed for such work, and neither am I. I finally sold it to my boss'
        son, who uses it for fishing on local lakes and even rigged a small outboard
        to it. He seems happy with it. Btw, I still have the Pirogue,
        david

        PS: Oh, yeah: the boat weighed 45 lbs., fully glassed outside, without the
        seats. I built it out of 1/4" luan and white cedar.