[bolger] Re: A sea of choices.

  • Tim Bush
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2000
      <JB has very strong advantages. You can launch her vertically from the
      edge of a cliff, lower a picnic basket by rope, dive into the water and
      pull yourself on board with no risk of getting your sandwiches soggy.>

      This is probibly not far from the truth. I built my first boat when I
      was in high school. It was a "kit" from Folbot. A Kayot or some such
      name (memory is the first thing to go)it was a 17' long plywood covered
      canoe built much like JuneBug. I liked to paddle it in the streams that
      often connect lakes here abouts. One day I came across a beaver dam.
      Not wanting to get out and portage the beast, I opted instead to try to
      jump it. I paddled like hell, unfortunatly hell wasn't enough to clear
      the stern. The bow plunged and embeded itself in the muck below the dam
      and stern stayed on the damn dam. I hung there for a brief moment
      before fliping over and landing in the muck myself. The final tally was
      one very bruised teen age ego and absolutly no damage to the boat. Not
      even a creak. If JuneBug is half as tough a cliff should be no problem.

      Tim (remembering past glory) Bush

      "jack bearden" <beardej-@...> wrote:
      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=2041
      > Tim, re your comment about many and varied remote lakes in your area
      ( I think you said that)... which might not have handy boat ramps: JB