[bolger] Re: Two Cents...leg-o-mutton mast

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 30, 2000
      Yes. All the spars on Entropy are hollow, using this method.

      Works good.

      1) putting the eight sticks together, put the bottom four together, put the top four together, lift the top four and set them on the bottom four. Handling eight sticks at once is a bitch.
      2) use big hose clamps to hold it together. Coat them with vinegar or oil if using epoxy, to keep the epoxy off them. I used string for one, and wire for two more, I think the ring clamps would have worked much better.
      3) use light wood, no point making a hollow spar unless it's light...

      "Clyde S. Wisner" wrote:

      Has anybody tried the "birds beak or mouth" system from MAIB and Wooden Boat and Franks Weekender Project which I found in John's Mother of All Maritime Links - www.vcnet.com/~fhagan/bm.htm  ? Clyde Wisner

      Jack Bearden wrote:

      > My vote would be to use sitka spruce or eastern red spruce. More flexable and lighter than pine or fir. I made one from three layers of pine (two layers of epoxy). Worked great for a year on JB. Snapped at  partner like a match stick when I ran aground in gusty conditions. Clear spruce, either solid or laminated would probably have the longest life span.
      >
      > jeb, distracted by the spectacular ski scape over the Bay of Fundy

      > -- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/bolger/?m=1

      Get what you deserve with NextCard Visa! Rates as low as 2.9%

      Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR, online balance transfers, Rewards Points,

      no hidden fees, and much more! Get NextCard today and get the

      credit youdeserve! Apply now! Get your NextCard Visa at:
      http://click.egroups.com/1/929/5/_/3457/_/949439338/

      -- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=bolger&m=1

    • Jack Bearden
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2000
        My vote would be to use sitka spruce or eastern red spruce. More flexable and lighter than pine or fir. I made one from three layers of pine (two layers of epoxy). Worked great for a year on JB. Snapped at partner like a match stick when I ran aground in gusty conditions. Clear spruce, either solid or laminated would probably have the longest life span.

        jeb, distracted by the spectacular ski scape over the Bay of Fundy
      • Clyde S. Wisner
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2000