Re: Wyo problem

  • ellengaestboatbuildingcom
    Message 1 of 36 , Jul 2, 2002
      Jeff,
      Far be it for me to tell a fellow builder what to do with"his
      problem" considering that whatever is recommended is going to have to
      be accomplished and payed for by you,not"us".
      Having said that,let me just say that I am very much inclined to
      cast my vote along with Tom and Jamie;remove what you've done and
      start over with a double lamination of thinner stuff and add some deck
      beams.
      Consider the following:
      It will never be easier to put things right then right now while
      you are in the thick of building.
      You will have by now worked up to an efficient building routine
      with all the required tools/supplies at hand.
      Speaking of having things at hand,I suspect the caullouses on
      your hands are up the task.
      It will prove educational for the other"roofs" you have still to
      build.
      And finally,it really isn't all that hard or should I say
      scary.If I remember correctly,Mike Stockstill did do major surgery on
      his Martha Jane RaMbUnCtIoUs( however he spells it! :-) ) in less then
      perfect conditions and his results are commendable!
      Me thinks that when you consider how little that one roof
      represents in time/materials,doing it over is but a small part of the
      many hours still to go,hours which you will soon forget after she is
      launched with a perfect roof!
      Good luck with your choices and continued success with your WYO !!
      Sincerely,
      Peter Lenihan,losing a litre per hour of water in an incredible heat
      wave,along the shores of the sultry St.Lawrence...........
    • Ford and Mary Ann Walton
      Message 36 of 36 , Jul 3, 2002
        Jeff,

        It sounds like you won't need kerfs to solve your Wyoming cabin roof
        problem, but if it turns out you do, make them with a router and a thin
        veining or straight bit. It's much safer and easier to control than a
        saw.

        Good luck,
        Ford Walton