Re: Why no pontoons?

  • proaconstrictor
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 2, 2002
      There are some nice pontton boats, and I can't think of a reasonable
      reason against them. they can be designed as extreme low resistence
      boats. See my BassAckwards over at Duckworth, which is smaller than
      what you sound to be after, and have a look at Bolger Saint
      something, which is very simmilar, though mine was designed first.
      Also his is a sharpies type, so would plane a lower energy input than
      mine, which was designed as displacement only.

      I wish I had copied his motor mount, since mine turned out to be too
      high.
    • echo172@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 29, 2006
        Anyone know if Bantam has been built?

        It can be found in Bolger cartoons, FYI

      • Kristine Bennett
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 29, 2006
          I've seen photos of two of them and one was built and
          then pushed to 31 or 32 feet as I recall. The builder
          didn't like the small aft deck. I think you will find
          that one on Duckworks.

          I think it's a great little boat.

          Blessings Krissie

          --- echo172@... wrote:

          > Anyone know if Bantam has been built?
          >
          > It can be found in Bolger cartoons, FYI

          > removed]

        • Bob Slimak
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 30, 2006
            There are at least 4 Bantams done. The first one was built to the original plans in Nantucket and was written up in M.A.I.B., with a cover photo, a few back. He has since made considerable changes, including the double bottom update. The second one finished was the one Kristine mentions as having be stretched to 31 feet. That one is in Indian River Florida. He first built it the original size, but did not build the folding cabin, and built the cabin top in one layer of 3/8" ply instead of the foam ply laminate. He latter stretched it, but did not build the updated double bottom as he runs only in protected waters. The third one was built, also modified from the plans, and is somewhere in the Pacific Northwest. Bellingham seems to ring a bell in my memory :) I was last in contact with him Last fall when he had launched it without the cabin, anxious to try it out. I assume he finished the cabin during winter, spring?
            The fourth one is mine, in Duluth, MN. It is the updated double bottom version, stretched to 22'. It does have the folding cabin, but I did not make the bow detachable as I never plan to be storing it in a garage. I have not been on the Bolger site since last Dec. when I went to Panama for the winter. When I got back I went right to work on the boat, launched in July and have been too busy boating and making some changes to report on it. I just folded the cabin this afternoon for the winter, which is coming tomorrow, according to the forecast. Anyway, now that boating here is done for the year I will try to figure out how to post some photos next week.
            Bob

          • Kristine Bennett
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 30, 2006
              OK here is a question the group, how many diffrent
              power catamarans and trimarans had PCB designed that
              are under 30 feet?

              I know of the Trashcat, the Fishcat and the Bantam.
              Now many others are there?

              Blessings to All
              Kristine

              (http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited)
            • proaconstrictor
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 30, 2006

                I didn't know about the Bantam or Trashcat. There is the trimaran
                houseboat, and the Saint somethingorother small cat with the outboard.

                ______________

                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 31, 2006
                  > > OK here is a question the group, how many diffrent
                  > > power catamarans and trimarans had PCB designed that
                  > > are under 30 feet?

                  Also, Singlehander Catamaran aka "A Fast and Light Singlehander",
                  SBJ#27(Cartoon 3) and BWAOM Chapter 52-pg269.

                  Also, the queen of them all, Double Eagle, longer at 42 ft.
                • graeme19121984
                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 1, 2006
                    > > > OK here is a question the group, how many diffrent
                    > > > power catamarans and trimarans had PCB designed that
                    > > > are under 30 feet?

                    4 or 5. How to count? Designed for straight power, or auxiliary
                    power? Those that reasonably could have auxiliary power, though not
                    shown as such?

                    The designs index lists about 9 to 10, or so, depending how you
                    count them. A few are studies/earlier plans that became somewhat
                    different plans.

                    There's Bolger indications there are more than have been published,
                    or are in the index, eg the Bolger vee-bottom, inboard, stay
                    sail "Cruising Cat(-amaran)" in Derek Harvey's "Multihulls for
                    Cruising and Racing". It had moderate beam as reportedly Bolger
                    reasoned that gave a less jagged stability curve and compact
                    berthing.

                    There used to be earlier this year, current photos of a Bolger 24'
                    aquaculture power catamaran built at the Old Wharf Dory yard that
                    was still a goer: http://www.oldwharf.com/history.html It had
                    moderate twin ob power, vee-bottoms deeper at the bow and flattening
                    astern, kinda beamy hulls with lowish freeboard, sheltered helm, and
                    good speed on the plane I would think. I think there's a pic in one
                    of the bolgergroups.

                    Seems to be only 5 straight power multis: Bantam, Fishcat, Trashcat;
                    and the two Power Cats, #480, and #598, the first of which the Old
                    Wharf Dory yard example is likely to be, and the second may be a PCB
                    supplied version of the CSD Fishcat #469... making it 4 in all that
                    are known.

                    Graeme
                  • proaconstrictor
                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 2, 2006
                      Here is the little power cat St Jan:

                      http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/01/articles/champlain/index.htm

                      I'm partial to this design since I quite aside made a similar boat to
                      my own design, as a prototype for a charter cat, since kids have
                      enjoyed it. Bolger's was originally designed as a Yulloh testing
                      platform, if I remember correctly, so the hull shape may not be ideal
                      for power. Good concept though.
                    • Kristine Bennett
                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 2, 2006
                        Yes I had seen that one but was not sure if it was
                        PCB&Fs design or an idea someone had and used ideas
                        of PCB. But it's along the idea I have for a powercat.

                        I should send Phil a letter and see what he has to
                        say.

                        Blessings All Kristine

                        --- proaconstrictor <proaconstrictor@...> wrote:

                        > Here is the little power cat St Jan:

                        http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/01/articles/champlain/index.htm

                        (http://voice.yahoo.com)
                      • proaconstrictor
                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 2, 2006

                          > Yes I had seen that one but was not sure if it was
                          > PCB&Fs design or an idea someone had and used ideas
                          > of PCB. But it's along the idea I have for a powercat.
                          >

                          > I should send Phil a letter and see what he has to
                          > say.
                          >
                          > Blessings All Kristine

                          Good idea, I recall the article in MAIB, and it was a Phil project but
                          for Yulloh testing therefore displacement hull stuff. After that
                          interest passed, it was used for the kind of thing in the picture, and
                          then it was passed on, and then it rotted out.
                        • proaconstrictor
                          Message 12 of 23 , Dec 6, 2006
                            Kristine,

                            you have probably already seen this. But it comes as close to being
                            economical, fast to build, resaleable, and seriously useful as one is
                            likely to find, short of a personal design. One issue that I would ask
                            about first is that amas are not necesarily good models for powercat
                            hulls. The deal is for a few thou you buy pre-molded epoxy
                            glass "pans" that are just glued to whatever square box superstructure
                            you want to use. Or build the kit, or buy the boat.

                            http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_boat_detail.jsp?
                            &units=Feet&checked_boats=1547873&lang=en&slim=broker&&hosturl=multimari
                            ne&&ywo=multimarine&